cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exponential backoff on POST upload?

standrewsoxshot
Dabbler

Exponential backoff on POST upload?

I'm having trouble uploading files via POST on a form. I used to have no problem, but now the upload starts, runs for a while (as evidenced by monitoring the bytes sent in windows) then stops. Then it waits a few seconds (let's say its 2) and runs for another second or so. Then it waits 4 seconds, runs for a second or so. Then 8 then 16 then 32 etc. Eventually it times out. (all those numbers are approximate, but the approximate doubling of wait period between each attempt is quite clear).
Sometimes it can be made to work by trying again, when it often runs for longer before it stops, but once it stops it gets into that exponential backoff again.
Now what has changed?
a) the platform upgrade
b) I have upgraded my DSL to give me around 1Mb upload speed. Could it be that I am pushing the data too fast and it is trying, rather heavy handedly, to throttle me?
I don't have this problem uploading, even very large files, to other sites, so it is certainly something specific to the CGI platform.
Any idea what is going on, and especially how I can get around this. I don't care about the speed, I just want a reliable way to get a file uploaded without me having to keep retying 20 or so times at 10 minute intervals.