cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding bandwidth allowance

PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Exceeding bandwidth allowance

I received an e-mail to say that my website "has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount". Yet when I check my usage, I see that I used 8.2Gb of my 250Gb allowance this month. And when i check the web stats, I don't see any spikes this month.
This happened last month too, and I don't understand it. Can you tell me what the problem is? Was the excess traffic uploads or downloads? And from where?
Thanks,
Peter
8 REPLIES 8
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Exceeding bandwidth allowance

Hi  Peter
It may be worse than that -If I have the correct Peter Kahrel I think they may have taken your website down again?  unless you have more than one?
Not sure why you have posted in the ADSL forum - here is a similar thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111172.0.html
Perhaps turning on webstats will give a clue?
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Exceeded bandwidth allowance (PlusNet claims)

I received an e-mail to say that my website "has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount". Yet when I check my usage, I see that I used 8.2Gb of my 250Gb allowance this month. And when I check the web stats, I don't see any spikes this month.
This happened last month too, and I don't understand it. Can you tell me what the problem is? Was the excess traffic uploads or downloads? And from where?
I must say that taking my site off the air straight away without warning strikes me as rather heavy-handed.
Thanks,
Peter
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Thanks, cedlor. Yes, they took it down again. I posted in the forum that you linked to, maybe I get a reply there. (I did check my web stats, nothing of interest there).
Peter
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Exceeded bandwidth allowance (PlusNet claims)

Does your website hold large image files? Bandwidth associated with downloading such files (perhaps by hot-linking) is not included in Webstats totals.
David
David
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Thanks, David, I didn't know that. There are a few big files there, but I can't check and remove them because I can't reach my web site. Grrrr.
Peter
cedlor
Grafter

Looks like you will have to complete the form again as it is a second offence Smiley  perhaps mention that you have just learned about images being downloaded by hotlinking and you will block said images.
(not that I know how to do that as I dont run a website)
EDIT  LATER    website has been re activated by PN  see duplicate post in ADSL forum
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Peter
The 8.2GB you mention is your broadband usage allowance, this is not your webspace allowance.
I've restored your site, but the web stats should give you an idea of the most visited pages.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Topics merged onto the correct board.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine