cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeded webspace bandwidth

PeterK
Dabbler

Exceeded webspace bandwidth

My webspace got archived and I have to write a grovelling letter to Plusnet to say sorry. Before I do that I need to find out why the bandwidth was blown out. I have a few photos and I was getting about 10 visits per day with about 1MB. Suddenly I'm 100MB over, the webstats show nothing unusual and I don't even have my website any more so I can't even check what might have been causing the problem.
So do I need to wait until webstats run tonight to find out what happened?
My real question is, why can't Plusnet run a daily limit and just suspend the website for the rest of the day? I am very annoyed that my site uses next to no bandwidth for three years and then without warning it is gone. Fair enough if I push the limits every day but this isn't the case. And why can't Plusnet give a bit more information about what caused the extra bandwidth? Or should I go elsewhere for dependable hosting?
12 REPLIES 12
Prod_Man
Grafter

Re: Exceeded webspace bandwidth

Hello PeterK,
There is a limit,  it is set that in 24 hours, your website cannot have transfered over your Products Allowance in that 1 Hour Period.
I had a Warning EMail for the same apparent "over use".
It turned out to be a Server Calculation Error not only with my website but a number of Customers webspace.
The way you can provide yourself with better backup for the next time this might possibly happen,
is to add Webstats which are not reliant upon the inhouse PlusNet figures to give it a double check.
I found that I had Screenshots (which were 1.6mb) being transfered by Search Engine Robots, daily consuming MB's of Bandwidth.
(This is why you usually have to create a robots.txt in your webroot)
I have prevented any Directories being read by the likes of Google, Yahoo for Caching Image Files... and restricted from sections of my website entirely.
I even went to the trouble of writing a script to compress for Thumbnail Views and disallow direct References to Image Paths.
I can simpathise with your position as it is shocking when you have no idea until the stats are generated,
as to what could (concieveably) have consumed all the data limit.
Good luck,
Jim,
PeterK
Dabbler

My webstats now say 1.5 MB. Hardly the 350MB the automated message claims I used. I'll raise a ticket and see what happens.
gamekeeper

I too have this problem, apologies for jumping on your thread.
My site has been down about 3 times this week due to exceeding bandwidth.
I have uploaded .htaccess (stopped all pics loading even for me) and also have robots.txt
Having no luck at all and very very annoyed.  Currently looking for a new ISP or hosting service.
Anyone have any solutions?
P.S. running webstats & most traffic is US commercial.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We archive sites automatically for one of two reasons, either the bandwidth has been exceeded or the space allowance has been exceeded. If you look at the comment on your account it will either mention "bandwidth" or "webspace". Are you sure that it is the bandwidth that has been exceeded and not the space?
HTH
gamekeeper

Subject of email;
"Your website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance" Angry

I get this message everytime.  My site is built using filtered html. 
Any suggestions?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm a bit busy at the moment unfortunately but I'll see if I can find time to have a quick look at this on Monday.
gamekeeper

Just an update -
Continuing to get the same messages, even though I have reduced the image sizes, text sizes etc etc.
Any bright coders want a task???
Cheers
Dave
PeterK
Dabbler

As it turned out, my site was removed because it had 350MB on it, or at least that what PlusNet claimed. It is difficult to tell when you no longer have the website so I wasn't convinced that there was that much on there. Anyway, PlusNet restored my site and my wife brought the usage down to 120MB. What would be helpful is a warning email saying that you are near your limit. Dumping the website without warning is too drastic and not necessary. We have now moved our critical webspace to a local hosting company. If any problem occurs in the future we know that our website is safe.
gamekeeper

Who do you use for hosting now? If you don't mind me asking.
Getting silly now, 3-4 times a week
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Have you taken a look at our hosting offering through http://www.payh.co.uk
gamekeeper

Yes, I have, more cash to plusnet, again.
I got squeezed out of my last plan & was forced to upgrade.
The_10th
Grafter

Compila or Daily look ok but Daily charge £7.99 setup fee.
HTH if you are still looking.