Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems with 1and1 domain name

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Email problems with 1and1 domain name

Hi,
I have set up a website for my sister who has registered a domain name with www.1and1.co.uk and which I have the DNS pointed to the PlusNet webservers and her webspace. All is O.K. with this and the website works with her www.herdomain.co.uk but I cannot seem to set up her email feebback@herdomain.co.uk and I am unsure whether I have to do something with 1and1 or PlusNet?
Does anyone have a domain name with 1and1 and they point to a website located on the PlusNet servers?
When trying to setup the mail to forward from 1and1 I get the message below.
MX Entry of the Respective Domain:
Your Server is set as primary mail server for this domain. E-mail addresses which you set up in the 1&1 Control Panel cannot be used with these settings, since these e-mail addresses are configured locally on the 1&1 mail servers.
To use e-mail addresses that were set up in the 1&1 Control Panel, for the respective domain in the section Domains > DNS > DNS Settings > Edit Name Server Settings select the option 1&1 Mail server.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Email problems with 1and1 domain name

I think you'll have to move the hosting of the domain over to Plusnet so that the DNS entries are set up on Plusnet. Make sure you leave the registration with 1and1 as it's cheaper.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
steed
Rising Star

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have the DNS settings in the 1and1 control panel set to the Plusnet servers ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net
And Plusnet have added the domain name to their DNS system.
I have checked the the help section on 1and1 but cannot find anything to help me solve the email problem.
In the Domain Names in the Plusnet control panel there is a section for Mail Settings
SMTP mail service only available on accounts with static IP address component
POP3  I wish to collect my mail using POP3

Other  I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain

I was wondering if I had to change or set up something to get the email to work.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If the name servers are set to Plusnet, I'm confused as to what you are trying to set  on 1 and 1. On the Plusnet portal, under domain names select configure for her domain. What mail settings have you got in there and have you any additional DNS records? It would help if you posted her domain name so that we can see the DNS records as they are (or PM them it me)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If your domain is now hosted on PN then you must use PNs mail servers not 1and1. 1and1 no longer have any responsibility for mail.
Just set-up the necessary mailboxes under Email Settings -> manage My Mail then set-up your client to use PNs POP3 and smtp servers as detailed in connection settings -> connection details or the Email help pages
steed
Rising Star

Hi jelv and Peter.
Thanks for the replies.
This is my first experience with domain names.
Now from your posts I realise I don't need do deal with 1and1 for the email and I have added a new mailbox on PlusNet Email Settings -> Manage My Mail called webmaster@username.plus.com which also means webmaster@mydomain.co.uk and is now working.
However, when using the Webmail to reply to a message sent to webmaster@mydomain.co.uk the reply return address is webmaster@username.plus.com
Is there a way to have the reply address be webmaster@mydomain.co.uk?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That is down to the email client you are using - what did you use to do the reply?
steed
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
That is down to the email client you are using - what did you use to do the reply?

I was using the PlusNet webmail.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In webmail go to Options, Personal Information.
If you always want to use the same details every time you send mail make the changes in that form.
If you want to chose the From email address for each message, click Edit Advanced Identities. In there add as many identities as you need (you can chose which one is to be the default). Now when you compose emails you will find you have a dropdown to pick which one to use for each email.
cosmicgw

Hi Peter,
I am one step behind you and would greatly appreciate some notes or pointers to what you did that works.
I plan the following,
- to register a domain name, probably with GoDaddy.
- to use the new name for IMAP email, with my metronet a/c.
I dont plan any web site stuff, all I want is email facilities with about 20 Meg of space. 
Is there a guide I can read, or would you please summarise the key steps you took.
Thanks.
steed
Rising Star

A big thanks to both jelv and Peter.
I have got it all sorted out now. I probably would have still been trying to figure it all out if it wasn't for the both of you.