cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email migration from POP3 to Office 365

lawrenceshome

Email migration from POP3 to Office 365

Hi, I am an IT Professional and I am posting this on behalf of a customer

I need to migrate their Plus Net POP3 email over to Office 365, Plus Net also have the domain registration.

I called the help desk about adding DNS text records (as you can't do it) but they were less than helpful and redirected me here.

I have read a few posts on doing a Plus Net > 365 migration, Can I just clarify a few points please:

1. If I transfer the domain elsewhere according to the forums the Plus Net POP3 email will stop working - is this correct?

2. If I change the Plus Net DNS settings to MX, so I can at least verify the domain in 365, then Plus Net email will stop working (even if i then set the lowest MX record to mx.avasin.plus.net ) is this also correct?

If the above 2 answers are yes, then it seems the only realistic ways to move to 365 are:

1. transfer the domain away and put up with an email outage for however long the domain transfer and 365 configuration then take.

2. Change the MX and only use 365 on the web initially, then later transfer the domain so i can set it all up properly.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Email migration from POP3 to Office 365

@lawrenceshome 

If the above 2 answers are yes,

I'm afraid they areSad. This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/MS-Office-365-Verify-Domain-for-Email-Setup/td-p/13059... seems to have the definitive information and I'm pretty sure that nothing has changed since then.

If the above 2 answers are yes, then it seems the only realistic ways to move to 365 are:

1. transfer the domain away and put up with an email outage for however long the domain transfer and 365 configuration then take.

2. Change the MX and only use 365 on the web initially, then later transfer the domain so i can set it all up properly.

TBH I'd bite the bullet and go with option one. Whilst the domain is hosted with PN you will not be able to implement SPF & DKIM since they need TXT records ( although there is a workaround for SPF providing you ONLY use the PN servers to send email )

I believe the 'ticket' system can still be used to request a domain transfer out , although I would suggest that you post on here with the ticket number if you go that way, so that one of the PN help team can chase the transfer

HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lawrenceshome

That's the thread i was reading, was hoping things had changed since then and actually worked properly. No such luck!

Now I've got to go tell the customer the good news.

Guess i'll have to start the transfer on a Friday, hope the domain has transferred over the weekend and then finish the migration on the Monday.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Guess i'll have to start the transfer on a Friday

I don't THINK Networks (who need to do the domain transfer) work weekends so don't leave it late on Friday!

Hopefully one of the PN help team will pick this up and advise the best time to start the transfer...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @lawrenceshome 

I don't THINK Networks (who need to do the domain transfer) work weekends so don't leave it late on Friday!

@MisterW is right here, the team don;t work weekends so if you do it today there is no guarantee that it'll be picked up in time for a Monday completeion i'm afraid. 

Thanks, 

MoR