cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email after domain moved in for hosting only

digital
Grafter

Email after domain moved in for hosting only

My domains are registered with 1and1 but I've recently moved them to Plusnet for hosting only. Do I need to do anything about email now the name servers are Plusnet's?
The reason I ask is that between my mailbox setttings and Thunderbird settings, emails to the three domains found their way into the correct, separate accounts in Thunderbird. Now, all arrives in just one of them.
TIA
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Email after domain moved in for hosting only

All emails for your account, username.plus.com, yourdomain.co.uk etc are processed by the same rules - just the name before the @ so bill@username.plus.com, bill@yourdomain1.co.uk and bill@yourdomain2.com will all go in to the bill mailbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
digital
Grafter

Thanks! So how do I get them to be separated as before, when I had to collect them  by logging in for email as 'myplusnetaccount+mydomain'?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You never did collect them like that - although it appeared so.
You were actually using myplusnetaccount+mailboxname and must have set up redirects on each of the domains to forward to a separate appropriately named mailbox on Plusnet.
If you use different prefixes for the email addresses used for each of the domains you will be OK, just set up the mailbox (with aliases if there are multiple addresses used for a domain) and it will work.
If you use the same prefix across multiple domains (including your username.plus.com domain) you are stuffed! You would have to separate them using rules in your mail client.
digital
Grafter

Many thanks for the help but, sorry, I'm just not getting it!
I have email coming in to
fred@domain1, mary@domain1, whoever@domain1
fred@domain2, mary@domain2, whoever@domain2
and wish to have them all fall into the same Outlook mailbox which is named domain1
I also have email coming in to my myusername.force9.co.uk address with a variety of identifiers before the @ and I wish these to fall into my myusername.force9.co.uk mailbox in Outlook.
Is there an easy way to automate this?
TIA
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You can create aliases of domain1 which will collect mail for any domain with those prefixes. So if you create an alias called fred fred@domain1 and fred@domain2 will go in to the domain1 mailbox, but so will fred@myusername.force9.co.uk.
There is no way of setting rules at the Plusnet end to work differently according to the domain - you can only do it on the part before the @. Anything else you will have to do by creating rules in Outlook.
digital
Grafter

'Clunk', the sound of the penny dropping! Thanks, I've got it.
All I have to do now is work out how to get Outlook to filter on the @domain(s).
digital
Grafter

I've set up an Outlook filter to move anything with '@domain' in the recipient's address into the 'domain' folder and this works well.
However, when I reply to such an email, the 'from' address in my reply is shown as my force9 username address, ie me@username.f9.co.uk, rather than me@domain.
Is there a solution to this?
TIA
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I know how I'd do it in Thunderbird (the email client I use) but I've no idea how you would do it in Outlook.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think that this should do it
Tools,
Email accounts
View or change existing accounts
Change
Change the "Your Name" and "E-mail address" fields but leave the login name etc. as they are to access the account
digital
Grafter

@Oldjim
Thanks I'll give that a try
@jelv
Thanks for all your help and patience! Care to enlighten me on Thunderbird as I'm running that on another machine and accounts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Each account you set up in Thunderbird has an identity which is used when you send emails. If you use IMAP for the accounts you can create rules to move messages to the appropriate mailbox, so when you reply to emails they will automatically have the appropriate senders email by default. When you create a new message (or when replying to a message) you can select the identity to be used to send the message and the sent message will be stored in the mailbox relating to that identity.
I also like the way I can easily move messages between mailboxes using IMAP. So with the catch all on I can move messages with different email addresses to the appropriate mailbox.
digital
Grafter

Thanks.
This sounds pretty much like the way Thunderbird works with POP3 in that I can filter and move from account to account. Or am I missing something?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

With IMAP it actually moves it on the Plusnet servers as well, so some emails I receive I move to my wife's mailbox. When she collects mail on her own PC she also gets the emails I've moved across.
digital
Grafter

Ah, I understand. Thanks.