Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ETA on 66mb+ fibre?

FIXED
mtremlett
Hooked

ETA on 66mb+ fibre?

Just wondering when plusnet will provide 66mb+ fibre speeds? 

Right now, BT is offering 900mb...so am in two minds whether to switch or not...

Any ETA greatly appreciated...thx

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ETA on 66mb+ fibre?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fix
There isn't one.
Until there's an official press release / announcement anything else is just conjecture.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mtremlett
Hooked

Ok - Thank you.

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Meh, when I signed up last November, they advertised up to 76 Mb downloads, I do a LOT of downloading, mainly on Xbox, and if I'm lucky I might get 55 Mb downloads on Xbox.

Que?

I once had an Engineer out who told me Plusnet throttles Xbox downloads and gaming in favour of Sony's consoles! Is this still the case or was the Engineer talking total bobbins?

Do you see? Cheesy
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That's never been the case.  Plusnet used to prioritise interactive traffic over downloads, but that was removed a number of years ago.

Edit: I got distracted and posted before I'd finished!  The prioritisation is still available with the Pro App On which is available for £5, though that won't likely make too much of a difference on most lines these days, unless you are regularly saturating the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mtremlett
Hooked

I think we all know that fibre can go much much faster and be able to cater for contention. If the underlying fibre can technically go to 900mb, as per the BT offer, then I'm guessing it's a case of simply flipping a software flag.

This then means there must logically be some sort of polictical / financial leverage being played out between BT & Plusnet... with the customers playing second fiddle.

"Dear Father Christmas...I've been a very good boy this year.......can you please get Plusnet & BT to have a group hug and give us faster fibre?"

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Technically the fibre portion does go much faster than that.  What @MrAllen2021 is talking about is FTTC, so the reduction of the speed is on the copper side of the connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mtremlett
Hooked

Ah ok...thank you for claryfying.

Given we have a fibre backbone and copper for the 'last mile', then we can only march as fast as the slowest soldier. Copper can max out at 40 Gbps which equates to 5 GB/s. Let's halve that to bring us back down to earth/reality, i.e. 2.5GB/s. Let's halve it again to cater for contention. 1.25GB/s is still more than plusnet 66mbps == 8.25MB/s.

Assuming my maths is correct, there is still a hefty delta between theoretical and actual.

Anyway.....let's wait to see when Plusnet can provide faster speeds...

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

40Gbps is only possible on a very good quality copper cable over a short distance (and I can't quite remember, but possibly over more than 1 pair of cables).  The copper of the phone lines isn't as good a quality as what would be needed, in the vast majority of instance significantly longer and isn't shielded, increasing the amount of interference present on a line.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@mtremlett 

You can check for yourself about the potential for your house. Put your phone number in here and see what it says.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If FTTP was available if would show as WBC FTTP

Assuming you've got VDSL (FTTC) it'll show the potential speeds for your line.

Brian

mtremlett
Hooked

100% agree...which is why I halved the figures twice  👍

mtremlett
Hooked

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Upto 1000 Upto 220 -- Waiting List

--

Great site !

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@mtremlett 

I hope you noticed the "Waiting List" bit. I would guess that means that FTTP is coming to you but is not yet live.

If you want faster speed now then you'll need to change providers. There are several main stream ones available. I can't guarantee this but PlusNet were offering to waive any early termination fees to members who moved to BT.

If you're happy to wait and see then PlusNet may offer FTTP later this year.

The rumour mill has it that PlusNet will begin offering a new router at the same time as they offer FTTP - either a BT SmartHub one or two. Rumours also suggest BT will be offering a new unit - SmartHub3 ?? sometime later this year.

Brian

mtremlett
Hooked

All good to know...thank you vey much 🙏