cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreamweaver/Microsoft Front Page software

Not applicable

Dreamweaver/Microsoft Front Page software

I am hoping to do a 10 week course on web design come September and have been told by the course tutor that they use Dreamweaver. I know that this is rather expensive (although I think that it will be cheaper when I have enrolled as a student), so when I queried this he said that if I had Microsoft Front Page it would be fine.
I thought that I had it on Office 2003 disk but this is not the case.
Have looked on Amazon and it too is fairly expensive.
Possibly there is something in Linux but as the course is for Windows I don't want to get muddled up.
Please can anyone offer advice about which is best to get and cheapest prices?
4 REPLIES 4
Rarebit

Re: Dreamweaver/Microsoft Front Page software

Hi Poppy - my guess is that it would be best to get Dreamweaver. With a 10-week course you cannot afford to be constantly translating what others are doing in Dreamweaver into the package you are using. It's a pity they are not using an open source package like NVU, but once you have learnt one package, the others are easier to figure out. If you are a student you might be able to get a discount on Dreamweaver.
Not applicable

Thank you for that (which is what I thought as I want the easiest option).
Checked Amazon and eBay and I will be able to get it cheaper once registered at the college.
There is one HERE - bids currently at £22. Is it worth trying for do you think?
Otherwise it looks like Amazon HERE at £111.
Any thoughts please?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It really depends on what they are doing with it. Can you get a hold of some info on what aspect of it they are using? If it is just as a HTML editor then there is not a lot of reason for spending money on it. NYU/Komposer/Gedit can so much the same, and in terms of converting, I would think that most of it maybe the same, the hardest part would be if they use saved projects and expect you to open/save them.
Remember HTML is HTML and CSS is CSS. IT doesn't mater if it is on *nix or M$.
Not applicable

Thank you for replies. Will close this query now in favour of the one HERE in Linux forum.