cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain with plusnet, hosting with someone else

Gwyd
Hooked

Domain with plusnet, hosting with someone else

I'm trying to point the A record of a domain hosted with plusnet to external hosting, and am struggling a bit with getting things to resolve properly.

The interface (understandably, I guess) seems a little bald, but I have a left hand field and right hand field that I think need to be:

L: FQDN
R: Host IP

The archived documentation gives an example for a subdomain that shows how to give that an A record, but nothing for the top level domain.

Could anyone clarify for me what it takes for this to work? I've tried this with a trailling '.' for the FQDN and without, and getting no resolving joy.

Any ideas? Any help much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,018

Re: Domain with plusnet, hosting with someone else

Hi there.

Unfortunately, due to the way we work, I'm afraid you can't have a domain registered with us but not hosted by us.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 75

@Gwyd I think the closest you can get for this is to provide an A record for the www subdomain pointing to an external IP. Then for the bare domain add a redirect to www in the root .htaccess of your Plusnet webspace.

David
Gwyd
Hooked

Many thanks for the help, probably best that I get the name transferred out then - appreciate the quick responses.

@spraxyt Thanks for the hints - I'll do that for the short term.