cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain web space hosted by Plusnet - How to prevent access to a directory?

FIXED
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Domain web space hosted by Plusnet - How to prevent access to a directory?

I have a very simple web site hosted by plusnet, I occasionally use it to host zip files that are too big to send over email, but which can be downloaded by people I want to have access to them.

I want to prevent everyone else (bots, spiders, crawlers etc) finding these files and only allow access to those I wanrt to have access.  Encryption is not an issue, since the zip provides this, but I don't want these files found (given that even an index.html which does not reference them, does not prevent these files being discovered and downloaded).  Download bandwidth is an issue.

I know plusnet does not enable ssl / tsl for my web site, but can I use .htaccess and password?  I cannot see a way to do this.

Are there other options?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Domain web space hosted by Plusnet - How to prevent access to a directory?

I don't use PlusNet webspace, but I believe as they support PHP (I could be wrong), you could in theory create a simple PHP login page who you'd give to people you want to know and anything else trying to access it will not get anywhere. Or do what every developer does, is look it up on a search engine and take some sample code and modify it. 

I've only done a bit of web development, the main stuff I have done is desktop apps. I used to run a couple of forums but they weren't busy ones.

I've heard about .htaccess but never used it. I personally would create a simple login page (or 'borrow' some source code as you do and adapt it).

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Domain web space hosted by Plusnet - How to prevent access to a directory?

Fix

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply.  I found I could do what I wanted with an .htaccess file after all.

JtB