Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer question

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Domain transfer question

I want to transfer my domain back to Plusnet, looking at the help pages here http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domainin.shtml all references are made to Force9 and not Plusnet, could someone just confirm this is correct
Paul
11 REPLIES 11
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Domain transfer question

So far as I'm aware, yes. Plusnet's tag is FORCE9.
Gabe
itsme
Grafter

Assuming your present registrar changes circa £7 for 2 years and you can change the nameservers why don't you leave the domain where it is and just request Plusnet to host. Otherwise Plusnet will charge circa  £50 when your renewal come up.
paulgul
Rising Star

Ok, thanks for the replies. It's only the hosting I was going to change, I have another year to run with the domain register and I'm being charged £12 per 2 years so I'm not bothering to change that.
Paul
danger11
Grafter

£12 is alot for 2 years (Normaly it costs in the region of £6), who is currently your registrar?

paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: danger11
who is currently your registrar?

EukHost
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Dump "EukHost" and transfer your Domain to 123-reg for FREE
Domains cost
co.uk £2.99 a year
com £9.99 a year
b4lamb

Quote from: paulgul
Ok, thanks for the replies. It's only the hosting I was going to change, I have another year to run with the domain register and I'm being charged £12 per 2 years so I'm not bothering to change that.
Paul

Why do Plusnet charge so much for new domain registration and annual/bi-annual renewals?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PN are an ISP and not a domain registration company. They don't do the 1000s of registrations per day like 123-reg and others so don't get the bulk discounts.
I would recommend transferring the domain to www.daily.co.uk which I use for all my domains. 123-reg has had poor reviews and support has been bad whenever I have had to use them (when sorting out someone elses domains!). The DNS control panel is a doddle and changes are instant.
Gabe
Grafter

Don't Nominet charge members something like a fiver? (Someone will correct me, I'm sure.) Plusnet renew quite a few free domains these days so they must have a system that keeps the admin costs down. You almost get the feeling they don't like hosting.
Gabe
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A lot of our hosting processes are done manually. We're now moving away from hosting services to concentrate on our core market of telephone and broadband so we can't spare the development time that would be required to make the tools to automate these processes.
Gabe
Grafter

The anomalous charge dates back years before PN stopped bundling hosting. I think it's always been controversial and difficult to justify purely in terms of costs passed on or admin costs. It sits strangely along side free renewal of free or included domains and the pound-a-month domains. It gives the impression of a would-customers-kindly-go-elsewhere-for-this-service charge.
Gabe