cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer out

decomplexity
Rising Star

Domain transfer out

One of my domain names is registered with 123-reg with its DNS hosted by PN.

I need to move DNS hosting back to 123-reg*.

I appear to have two options:

- to initiate TRANSFER OUT via the PN Domain control panel

- to change the name servers to 123-reg ones via 123-reg's control panel

Or perhaps both! 

DAK which is the quickest and most reliable way to do this and has the shortest downtime ? The resulting DNS zone file update replication time may be in the lap of the gods, but I would like to assist the process! 

* I need to add TXT SPF and other records not supported by PN

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Domain transfer out

Are you intending to either keep a website hosted by Plusnet or keep Plusnet's mail servers serving the domain?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
decomplexity
Rising Star

@jelv wrote:

Are you intending to either keep a website hosted by Plusnet or keep Plusnet's mail servers serving the domain?

Neither, jelv 

I want to add the domain to an existing Office 365 account so that among other things I can have TLS-secured access. Offfice 365 mandates making DNS changes that are not supported by PN.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As we only host the domain, any changes should really be made on the 123-reg control panel. We can't transfer this out as we're not the registrar for the domain.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Thanks Chris.

The relevant text reads:

Below is a list of the domains currently hosted on your account, press Configure to alter hosting settings and DNS records, or Transfer out if you'd like to move your domain to another provider.

So when I see a button labelled "Transfer Out", it could mean: 

- move the registration to another registrar (if it is currently registered via PN)  

- move DNS hosting to another provider

- both!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think that's just a remnant of the domain system unfortunately, if you use your 123-reg panel it should go fine for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Tnx Chris.

'Repatriating' the name servers to 123-reg via 123-reg's DNS domain control panel worked fine.

And as an aside for anyone else with mail accounts transferring the domain name out:  in the 36 hours or so that DNS changes take to replicate, some emails continue to flow into the old PN mail account. Because accessing PN webmail is unaffected by the name server change, I could use that to check if any emails had arrived and forward them to my new non-PN email account..