cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer out - asap

r2g2

Domain transfer out - asap

Normally I would phone Customer Services about this but Plusnet are (understandably) restricting their phone and chat access, so can anyone help me please? Sorry for the rather long post…

I cannot use Plusnet broadband because the only fast broadband available in my area is microwave/wireless, for which I use a local provider. Since I changed provider I have been paying a minimum amount for my old broadband contract just in order to keep my two domains current. This was agreed with Plusnet because the speed is unusable for today’s requirements, and I also continue to have other contracts with Plusnet.

Last year my Plusnet contract price was increased (this was in the contract) to the standard amount from the previously agreed minimum, so I have now decided on which alternative domain registrar to use.
Before I cancel my Plusnet broadband contract I need to transfer my two domains to the new registrar. This all needs to be done as quickly as possible because of the change to my financial circumstances due to the Coronavirus situation.

So, my questions are:
a. Can I simply transfer my two domains using the transfer service provided by Nominet (at a cost), or do I have to inform Plusnet for them to do something to ‘release’ the domains from their ownership?
I have the name tag of the new domain registrar.

b. Is there a way of raising a support or customer service ticket to be queued but dealt with fairly soon? I can’t find an email address that works, the chat option on their website is disabled, and the phone messages tell me that the system is to be used only for urgent calls and those related to vulnerable people, which I do accept of course.

Apologies again for the long post. Hopefully someone has the patience to read it and help me!

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Domain transfer out - asap

@r2g2 normally, transferring a UK domain is simple and quick. You initiate the transfer in from the new registrar and then login to your existing registrar and change the IPSTAG. The transfer completes quickly, the last one i did recently took about an hour!.

Unforntunately, PlusNet's domain system requires manual intervention to make the transfer and isnt easy to invoke. There's little point in calling the CSC as not many operatives will even know about domains. Normally the method is to post on here (as you've done!) and one of the PN Help team will pick it up and request the backroom chaps(Netops) to change the IPSTAG and start the transfer. The Help team are, as you might expect, a bit busy in the current circumstances and so it may take some time for them to pick this up, and then it will take a few days for it to be actioned. I've never had to use the Nominet transfer system but if you want to get the transfer done quickly, that may be the best option. I assume they will make the IPSTAG change and then your new registrar will complete the transfer as normal.

Be aware though, as soon as the IPSTAG is changed, any email or website facilities you are currently using at PlusNet will stop working!. Also, the PlusNet namesevers will be unaccessible and so, if you are using them, you will also need to set new nameservers once your domain is transferred.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

r2g2

Thank you, @MisterW , for your helpful and reassuring reply.  This is the first time I have moved domain names so I have spent a lot of time reading up about it, and hopefully I am prepared for everything now!  Still, thank you for emphasising the important points about what happens when the IPSTAG is changed.

Good, so I'll wait for the help team and Netops to respond.  I have the relevant info ready for that.

Many thanks again - much appreciated.

r2g2

Oh dear, I'm not sure what to do. @MisterW kindly responded but I gather PlusNet are the only people who can help me.  I realise that the support and technical teams must be very busy, but if anyone at PlusNet can help me to get my Domains moved I'd be very grateful.  Even if someone can give me some idea of what timescales to expect for anyone to respond...

thank you, anyone?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@r2g2  its still possible to raise a ticket for Domains & DNS so that might be worth trying.

go here https://www.plus.net/wizard/ ( login to the member centre ) and select Domains & DNS.

Put your request into the ask your question and then post back on here with the ticket number.

That way when the Help team eventually pick this up ( or the ticket is processed ) they can see the ticket number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @r2g2, I've created a ticket on the account for you. If you want to get back to me there with the IPS tags of the new hosts I can get the transfers sorted for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team