cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain to ccgi webspace

boltonsTech

Domain to ccgi webspace

Have searched through the forums and have found lots of contradicting advice on how to do what I want...... which is:
I have a domain www.mydomainname.co.uk and I want for when people type this into their browser address bar it takes them to our ccgi space which is located at ccgi.ourusername.force9.co.uk
I'm assuming this is possible, can anyone tell me how? I'm fine with altering DNS records if this is required.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Funseeker

Re: Domain to ccgi webspace

This is what's called Web Forwarding.  It is usually administered by couple of clicks from the site where you bought the Domain name.
You will need to log into your account where you bought the Domaon Name, go to the administration page and look for web forwarding section.
Sometimes you'll get option to Mask your URL by clicking "Frames."  Doing this stops your original Domain Name from showing on the task bar.
As you are forwarding to a another server, you must add a forward slash ('/') on the end of the redirect name, i.e ccgi.ourusername.force9.co.uk/
Hope that helps.
zubel
Community Veteran

Importantly - is your domain hosted with Plusnet, or elsewhere?
If your DNS servers are hosted with Plusnet, it's actually fairly easy to configure the CGI servers to be the target.  If not, you'll have to use the method outlined above (a Framed Redirect)
Let us know
B.
boltonsTech

Hi Barry
Yes the domain is hosted by Plusnet (or Force9 as it was).
I look forward to the "fairly easy" way..  Smiley
boltonsTech

@Funseeker
Not sure if that's what I'm after.... the www.mydomainname.co.uk is hosted and registered with plusnet (force9) so I was under the impression that I had to change the dns records to something like this (copied from another thread on here)....
Left field                          Type      Pri      Right field
mydomainname.co.uk.        a                    84.92.1.5 (IP address of CGI server)
www                                cname            ccgi.ourusername.force9.co.uk.
although another thread said the cname line should read...
www                                cname            ccgi.force9.net.
..I'm confused! lol  Huh
zubel
Community Veteran

You're actually correct - either of those addresses will work fine.
HOWEVER
Once the DNS changes have been done, you need to raise a ticket, putting something like:
"I have set up the DNS records for www.mydomain.co.uk to point to the CCGI server.  Please can you configure the CCGI server to match"
Basically, the CGI server needs to 'know' that it should be responding to www.yourdomain.co.uk and this part currently requires manual intervention from Plusnet's part.
B.
boltonsTech

Thanks for the reply Barry.... will try adding those records. I've already raised a ticket and after 4 attempts by the technical support team to resolve the problem, each time they changed my dns records to different things, I thought I'd try myself! lol
Hopefully they'll have already performed the manual part because of my earlier ticket.
I'll give it a try.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've just checked your account and the last agent you spoke to has already set all this up for you Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ketter
Dabbler

Does anyone have an idea how I could set up a similar situation
The only difference being that www.mydomain.co.uk is registered to a third party ( where I have changed the nameservers to point at plus.net's).
So, I don't have the DNS control in my Plus.net account that others do have.
ta
John
zubel
Community Veteran

If you've changed the DNS servers to point to PlusNet's DNS servers, you should have full DNS control and be able to handle it in exactly the same way as detailed above.
If you simply have your current domain provider "redirecting" to your PlusNet webspace, then you should be able to alter the redirection to point to the CGI server
B.
ketter
Dabbler

I didn't change the DNS servers, I wanted to though.  For Domain hosting only,  I was told I had to change the 3rd parties Nameservers to plus.net's nameservers.
I have just realised that in the Domain names page of my Members Centre , under the Domain Hosting settings section there is an option "other, I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain"
Would I use that, to enable the method you are suggesting?
Or, I have now also noticed a Configure DNS records button at the bottom of that page...
Yours also confused
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ketter
Or, I have now also noticed a Configure DNS records button at the bottom of that page...

That's the one you need.
Once you've added the two records as per the instructions earlier in this thread, you need to raise a ticket asking that we change your 'web service' to 'semi-auto'

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ketter
Dabbler

Thanks Bob