cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain pointing to Wordpress site

MartinDBaker
Dabbler

Domain pointing to Wordpress site

Hi, after failing to get this working I need some help guys please.
I've registered everythingd7000.co.uk and in short would like www.everythingd7000.co.uk to point to my Wordpress site that is installed on the CCGI server and for my username to remain invisiable of course. I've spent about 2 days now trying to get this to work & failed. I've read loads of forums and tried to follow all advice, but some of it is conflicting.
I've asked Plusnet to change the CGI service to basic - and this is done. I've setup DNS records and pointed them at the CGI server & NSLOOKUP resolves them to it. However, here is where the conflicting advice starts. Some forums say point www & ccgi A or CNAMEs at ccgi.plus.net, others say point them at ccgi.username.plus.com. Some say add full stops to the end of the domain name. So does anyone know the best way to do this?
Should I register A or CNAME records?
Should I point the records at ccgi.plus.net OR ccgi.username.plus.com - or does it not matter?
And do I need the trailing "."?
Since Wordpress is not installed in the root, but installed in its own folder named WORDPRESS, then I need to redirect inbound requests to that folder. PlusNet Support have told me to use .htaccess and point me here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1280.0 for an example. I've set this up, ensured it's ASCII, and edited appropriately. However, I just get either Server 500 errors or Access Denied errors all the time.
It also seems that the CCGI platform seems to have changed and some of the scripts may need to be changed. I got that from here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84267.16.html
I looked into file permissions (ref "Access Denied" and advice seems to vary there too. What's the definitive advice on what you should set for; folders, php scripts and static files please?  PS. I set everything to 755 - but it still didn't work. So now it's back as per this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=85127.0
If I type in www.everythingd7000.co.uk/wordpress is partially works & I get exactly the same symptoms as this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=90147.0
Is it actually possible to do this - or am I barking up the wrong tree here? PlusNet Support told me several days ago it should be easy - but then can't tell me exactly what to do & have referred me to these forums.
Also, PlusNet Support are now telling me to move Wordpress to the root, but I may elect to create another Wordpress site later & point a different domain at that. Therefore I do want to set this up such that it remains in it's own folder.
All advice welcome please!
Cheers guys!!
13 REPLIES 13
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Domain pointing to Wordpress site

Hi Martin,
There's a number of ways of doing that. I'd give the new domain its own A record
everythingd7000.co.uk.		a  	  	84.92.1.4

(with the trailing dot), then either cname the subdomains (www and ccgi) on that, for ease of maintenance, or give them a each separate A record, for simplicity
www.everythingd7000.co.uk.  	a  	  	84.92.1.4

To rewrite to a subfolder, you could use the rewrite given here.
The one in the link you were given doesn't work for the new platform (or indeed for the old one).
The correct permissions are given in the faq.
and there's a script linked from point 6 that can set them for you.
Yes, it's possible, but note the current WP version limitation.
Good luck.
Gabe
MartinDBaker
Dabbler

Cheers Gabe - that's good news!
In the subfolder rewrite....do I need to redirect my username (as per the link) or www.everythingd7000.co.uk
i.e. Is this what I need.....
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.everythingd7000\.co\.uk$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/~martindbaker/wordpress/
RewriteRule (.*) /wordpress/$1
OR
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.martindbaker\.plus\.com$ [NC]

Assume I also need the below in the script:
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.+[^/])$ $1/ [R,L]
Gabe
Grafter

Yup. The condition matches the domain you want to use with that folder. I think WP should fix its own trailing slashes.
Gabe
MartinDBaker
Dabbler

OK - some steps forward - but not quite there yet...
DNS A record setup & www.everythingd7000.co.uk points at 94.92.1.4 fine.
I've set all permission as per the link. Did this through FileZilla usingthe file filters & file permissions.
Redirect written, uploaded as ASCII and renamed to .htaccess
This is the .htaccess contents:
When I now go to www.everythingd7000.co.uk - I get "Access forbidden. Error 403....  You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.
Which would seem to indicate incorrect permissions. .htaccess is set to 640.
However, if I go to www.everythingd7000.co.uk/wordpress then it all seems to work fine. But that's not what I want. I don't want the /wordpress folder showing
Any idea how to fix that.... Getting closer...
Would it help if I added RewriteBase /Wordpress  to the .htaccess script?
To keep all the pages pointing at www.everythingd7000.co.uk, do I need to change some of the WordPress settings - as per this: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/help-cannot-forward-to-my-blog-do-i-need-htaccess-file ?Huh
Cheers

Oh dear...I changed the URLs (WordPress address & Site Address) for the site locations &....its bust now..... how do I get it back? Can I edit a file to get the correct URLs back>
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The first thing I would try for recovering access to your site would be to disable the .htaccess file (eg change its name to old.htaccess). Then try to access the site using ccgi.username.plus.com/wordpress/ (I deliberately put a trailing / on that).
If you can log in you should be able to reset the home and site addresses.
If that doesn't work you could try editing the values of site_url and home (row 38) in the MySQL wp_options table (use the appropriate table_prefix if you didn't use the default value).
David
Gabe
Grafter

No, you don't need to set the RewriteBase for that RewriteRule. If you wanted to use the trailing-slash fix for content in other folders then you would need RewriteBase /
Yes, you do need to change the URLs to www.everythingd7000.co.uk without a slash. Then your site should disappear until you get the rewrite working.
Did you set RewriteEngine on
Did you upload the .htaccess as ascii?
Gabe
MartinDBaker
Dabbler

Hi Gabe - many thanks for all your help.
I logged into MySQL.plus.net and have edited the 2 fields I had changed to add back "\wordpress" to the end of both Web and Site URLs. This has resurrected the admin interface - it all works fine. This is the content of my .htaccess file:
Do I need to add RewriteEngine On ....to the top of this?

However, the actual web site itself now doesn't work? For http://ccgi.martindbaker.plus.com/wordpress/    I get:
===============================================================
Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: index.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
===============================================================

Any suggestions?

Yes, htaccess uploaded as ascii.
Gabe
Grafter

Yup, RewriteEngine on at the top. The internal error is probably caused by the broken .htaccess. If you delete it, you should get your site back via /wordpress. Then go to settings and take the /wordpress out of the URLs again. Then load the corrected .htaccess.
Gabe
MartinDBaker
Dabbler

That's strange. I renamed .htaccess to OLD.htaccess  and....the site still reports the same thing..... "Error 500"
Obviously all the content is fine - the admin tool sees it all & edits it all fine.
I'm running WP3.1.3. Should I try an upgrade to 3.2.1? Bearing in mind that I'll need to reset all the permissions and the WP version limitation issue. Or, should I try to re-install WP3.1.3? If so, how do I do that?
Gabe
Grafter

I'd steer clear of 3.2 until you've worked through the current wrinkles. First check there isn't a .htaccess file in /wordpress itself. If there isn't, reset all permissions as per the faq. As a last resort, delete the folder and the db tables and start over.
Gabe
MartinDBaker
Dabbler

Grin Grin Grin
Got it back! Many thanks!
No htaccess in Wordpress. Reset all permissions  - et voila!!
I've resurrected .htaccess & now www.everythingd7000.co.uk works fine! Wunderbar!
On an aside; I'm using Wordpress 2010 Theme. Wordpress doesn't seem to easily let you change font size  Sad And editing the theme's style sheet looks challenging. Is there any easy way to change fonts/font sizes? e.g. Is there a plug-in for this?
Also, the theme is "width restricted". I've seen some themes that are dynamic and auto-stretch to IE's size. I know Atahualpa 3.2. does this. Is is easy to change theme? Is there any negative impact? What about header image sizes?
Many thanks again for all your help!
Someone should write a "Pointing your registered domain at a Wordpress sub-folder for dummies" guide (from start to finish)..... it would be a massive help. There's lots of info about - but it's in lots of places....

I might think now about upgrading to 3.2.1......
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'd be inclined to stay clear of WordPress 3.2.x until MySQL is upgraded to 5.x. It is possible to patch the version check for a fresh installation, but automatic upgrade requires a different patch. The file containing that might be updated during the upgrade (it is in 3.2 to 3.2.1) - which would undo the patch. Manual updating works, but …
In my opinion a hack best avoided on a live site.
David
Gabe
Grafter

That's not a hack, that's a setting  Wink
I'd be reasonably sanguine about using WP 3.2 with MySQL 4.1 on live sites, if the plugins you want to use are compatible with both. That's always an issue when upgrading, so the same cautions apply.
But ... WP have signalled their intent to clean up their database handling, so future versions of WP will become genuinely incompatible with MySQL 4.1. Keeping up to date with WP security on ccgi will then become a concern.
Gabe