Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name renewal - freenetname/madasafish legacy business

FIXED
David35
Fixes: 1

Domain name renewal - freenetname/madasafish legacy business

My problem is similar to busychip on 15 March 21 ie renewing a domain name hosted by Plusnet previously madasafish. There is no option on Plusnet customer service phone lines to speak to someone about this. My domain name is due to expire in early September and I would like it to be renewed for at least a further year after that date (and ideally a process for contacting Plusnet annually thereafter).

can someone help with this please,I think it was Penny who got the problem fixed for Busychip.

Thanks, David

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Domain name renewal - freenetname/madasafish legacy business

Hi @David35

Thanks a lot for reaching out. No need to call in, I've now raised this matter with our NetOps Team to see if they're able to get your domain renewed. I'll let you know once I've had a response. We don't charge for domain renewals. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
norab

Hi Adam945

My Freenetname/Madasafish domain name is also due for renewal again and will expire soon. Last year I had trouble with email which I rely on and phoned to try and re-register domain. The domain is www.littlehill.co.uk  I can provide my account username if required. Would you please check the registration status and let me know what to do to ensure continuity. Is there an online process to renew?

In the past ( possibly up to 15years now) I was charged for renewal (was happy to pay) which was done in my name not Plusnet. I was shocked to find than the last registration was no longer in my name but Plusnet. Does this mean I no longer own the domain and it could be given/sold to someone else without me knowing?

Please contact me  either here or by email - preferably email.

Many thanks, norab.

David35

Hi Adam (or colleague)

the post from Norab reminds me that I haven’t heard anything further about renewing my domain name and this still hasn’t been done (I checked on Whois). I pm’d you with the domain name a few days ago. Could you (or colleague) please update me? I appreciate the NetOps team may have a backlog.

All best,

David

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good morning @David35

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response, I was just clarifying a few things with our NetOps Team in regards to your domain. As it comes under a Madasafish domain, renewals are free of charge and are done automatically, so there's actually for them to do here.

Same applies to you @norab - it'll renew itself automatically and free of charge. Smiley

Adam
norab

@norab
In the past ( possibly up to 15years now) I was charged for renewal (was happy to pay) which was done in my name not Plusnet. I was shocked to find than the last registration was no longer in my name but Plusnet. Does this mean I no longer own the domain and it could be given/sold to someone else without me knowing?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @norab, I can see my colleague has addressed this query further over on a PM for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
norab

Thanks.

David35

Thanks very much for your reply, Adam.

I hadn’t realised that renewal would be automatic. This is ideal, however I had formed the impression from previous years that an intervention was necessary. So I shall check on the renewal date that renewal has gone through and maybe you or a colleague could do so also. I can then post again on this thread which might reassure others with similar concerns about madasafish legacy domains. It is quite important to me as I would lose my main email address if I lost the domain!

Many thanks again for all your help,

David

norab

Hi David

I agree with you whole heartedly. Last year my email stopped and it was only after long calls to helpdesk that someone noticed that the domain had not been renewed, I posted here as it was an ongoing theme.... I had a reminder in my calendar to check this out this year before it was too late.

Let's hope all is OK and we will be renewed and relieved.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It was our NetOps Team themselves who have advised that your MAAF domains should be set o auto renew. Smiley

Give us a shout on here on your renewal date if you're having any issues and I'll be more than happy to follow this up.

Adam
David35

Fix

Hi Adam,

I’ve checked on whois.com and am very pleased to note that my domain name has indeed been renewed for a further year, actually a few days before the original expiry date this month.

From your explanations it seems I probably won’t have to make contact again next year or in future years as extensions should be automatic. However I’ll keep a watch nearer the time and will make contact if need be.

Similarly of course I hope the problem norab describes will not recur in her case.

For myself I am very happy with the customer service you and Plusnet have provided.

This seems a good forum for raising concerns and getting them resolved.

David

robertblake

Hi there,

I have the domain www.theshowpeople.co.uk which was set up with madasafish/freenetname is it possible to have a SSL certificate applied to this domain? at the moment it's HTTP and i need it to be HTTPS. Could you please advise on the best way of achieving this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @robertblake and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm afraid it's not possible for us to provide SSL on hosted domains, due to the way our webspace platform works.

It is possible on a Plusnet hosted webpage, for example, https://www.username.plus.com/ by adding the S after HTTP, but it doesn't look like you can with Madasafish/Freenetname, because adding the S to HTTP to the following https://www.users.freenetname.co.uk/~USERNAME (replacing username with your username) doesn't work, though this likely wouldn't achieve what you're wanting anyway as you've got a hosted domain. 

Just for reference, I've taken this information from our webspace FAQs Here and then our SSL FAQs Here.

Really sorry for any disappointment. Let me know if you've got further queries. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet