cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name on PAYH

tonysmith123
Dabbler

Domain name on PAYH

I have a website on the trial PAYH server which is currently www.username.plushost.co.uk.
I have registered a Domain name with Just the Name. There seems nothing definate about the move to PAYH and I am unsure whether I should use my Domain name on the new server.
If there would be no disadvantage could someone please advise on how this should be done. My Domain name is currently on my Nominet account. Do I transfer Domain to Plusnet and ask them to change my website address?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
leilabd

Re: Domain name on PAYH

I used to have web requests for my domain forwarded from my registrar to my PlusNet home page. However, this was unsatisfactory for various reasons, so I asked PlusNet to host the domain but without changing registrar as follows:
At my registrar's site, I changed the name servers for my domain to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net as described at http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/dns_hosting.shtml
I then raised a PlusNet question saying:
I have a domain, mydomain.com, registered with an external company. I would like to host this site (web and mail) on my PlusNet account. I have changed the name servers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net as described at http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/dns_hosting.shtml.
Please can you make whatever changes are necessary to enable me to host the site on my PlusNet account?

After waiting 24 hours for the DNS changes to propagate, my domain then pointed to my PlusNet home page. I then followed the instructions in the tutorial "Pointing multiple domains to your PAYH webspace" at http://users.plus.net/tutorials/id/69.
This all worked very well and I now have www.mydomain.com still pointing at my old PlusNet home page and mydomain.com pointing to my PAYH space where I can experiment while leaving my old site still working.
Hope this helps.
Leila
tonysmith123
Dabbler

He Leila
Many thanks for help which is much appreciated.
I have just transferred from JTN to PN and once domain is with them I'll contact the support team.
Thanks once again.
Regards
Tony Smith
tonysmith123
Dabbler

As a worried novice, I am still uncertain as to how I use domain name on PAYH
PN have transferred in my domain on Hosting basis and referred to the Tutorial re "Pointing Multiple Domains to PAYH webspace".
I intend that my PAYH site will be publically available on the web. Accordingly the instructions below seem relevant.
I have not yet taken the plunge as I am unsure as to what I will need to add in Fields shown.
My domain name is domainname.co.uk  Do I insert this in Right Field followed by .com. to give domainname.co.uk.com.
What do I insert in Left Field and what does cname refer to?
My apologies for being unable to follow what are  no doubt simple instructions, any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Tony Smith
Once your site is ready for public access you will need to set up DNS to allow this.
Follow steps 1 to 4 as above.
5 ) In the 'Create a new DNS record for' section enter details as shown below.
LEFT FIELD___ TYPE_____ RIGHT FIELD
www._________ cname____domainname.com.
Don't forget the trailing '.' in both fields.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There shouldn't be a ".com" on the end.
Would it help to change the terminology - refer to your domain name as something.co.uk and the example domain name as somethingelse.com? Then where you see somethingelse.com in the example you substitute something.co.uk.
Really the example should just say domainname. (note I added a dot) but then users are likely to leave out ".co.uk" or ".com" as appropriate - a no-win situation.
Hope this helps
David
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With regard to the other part of the question:
Quote from: tonysmith123
What do I insert in Left Field and what does cname refer to?

"cname" is an abbreviation for canonical name - but in this context it is the type of DNS record you are creating - and it describes an alias. You leave the text cname as is.
Some readers perhaps interpret "www" to mean "world wide web", but it is simply an alias, and doesn't mean anything in particular.
I assume you will leave the text www. (note the dot) as is, then by creating this DNS cname record what you have done is to define an alias so that if users enter
http://www.something.co.uk into their browser address bar, they are redirected to
http://something.co.uk which is your website.
The DNS A type record previously defined will have provided an IP address directing something.co.uk to the right server.
Note: at the risk of overstating this - be careful to insert the terminating dots where indicated in the tutorial.
David
David
sbaldock

I currently have a domain name registered with 123-reg, and use their Web Forwarding to point to my WordPress install at <ccgi space>/wordpress. I am finding that some WordPress plugins now require PHP5, which if I have understood correctly, I will only get with your new Plesk platform, and will cost me at least £3.99 a month?
I understand I could transfer my domain pointers to the PlusNet servers, but how will this work with a site currently hosted under a subfolder off CCGI, and how do I migrate my database etc? Am I able to transfer my ".org.uk" domain, or do you only host ".co.uk" ?
Are there suitable instructions for such a transfer & migration yet?
I also feel that charging for a hosted service which is being forced upon me is rather off! Maybe I start looking for another webhost ....    Undecided
Steve Baldock
http://baldockfaggfamily.org.uk
tonysmith123
Dabbler

Hi Dave
Many thanks for all the advice given regarding use of Domain names on PAYH.
I thought I'd followed Tutorial correctly but things not worked out.
However really appreciate your help.
Kind regards
Tony