cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain hosting? What does this email mean?

FIXED
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Domain hosting? What does this email mean?

I just received the "Good News"

We've got some good news!
After reviewing the prices we charge for some of our services, we’re pleased to let you know that as of 1st September we won’t be taking any further payments for your email & domain service/s, as they’re becoming free of charge*.

We're really pleased that we're able to offer you this service for free. The only other change we're making is that from 1st September you won’t be able to transfer in or host any other domains on this service. 

Does this mean that my existing long standing free domain hosting and matching email addresses will cease?

I truly hope not!

David.

9 REPLIES 9
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Domain hosting? What does this email mean?

Fix

Hello @gm4jjj,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have looked into this, and can confirm that nothing will change for yourself. It is a change we are making to our domain services where those that were chargeable are now free, and any customers with domains after that joined our services after 06/12/2017 will be unavailable to host or transfer in new domains. 

I hope this helps put your mind at ease. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Thank you for the clarification, it does put my mind at rest!

i am always just a bit wary when I see Good News! type letters or emails, because generally there is a catch hidden in the small print. Just my cynical nature in this modern world.

Thank you PlusNet Team.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

No problem @gm4jjj.

It is always good to be careful, and we are always happy to help Thumbs_Up. Please get back to us if you have any further concerns.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@SammyM wrote:
Thanks for getting in touch. I have looked into this, and can confirm that nothing will change for yourself. It is a change we are making to our domain services where those that were chargeable are now free, and any customers with domains after that joined our services after 06/12/2017 will be unavailable to host or transfer in new domains.

Translation:

Plusnet's new accounts system which is launching soon can't cope with these charges, so given the relatively few who have domain services, it is easier for Plusnet to take the hit and make them free than to add the ability to handle them to the new system.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MartynF
Hooked

I received the same e-mail and found it mildly confusing. It says I won't be charged for e-mail or domain services, yet I haven't paid Plusnet a penny for many years.

Great news that they can offer me e-mail for free - just like the last 15 years Grin

Long story short, I used Plusnet for hosting a domain and website many years ago (around 2002). That ran its course after a few years, but I retained my Plusnet e-mail address and still use it to this day as my one and only address. As I've moved houses and switched ISPs over the years, I've always been able to keep my e-mail address constant, which has been a real blessing! And it hasn't cost anything. I only have to change my SMTP server in my mail client to match my current ISP.

From a quick search (which ultimately led me to this thread), I found others talking about being charged around £1 per month to keep their e-mail address after leaving Plusnet. Maybe I got lucky? I'm not sure. Different rules for different generations of customers, perhaps. Plusnet were never my ISP (except for PAYG dial-up internet way back when!), but I did have that domain many moons ago.

If my account has somehow fallen by the wayside into obscurity deep within Plusnet's database, I realise I should probably stay quiet and let it continue, but hey... curiosity killed the cat. I am currently a Plusnet mobile contract customer though!

Cheers,

Martyn

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jelv,

This seems to be more about making email totally free akin to gmail et al.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does gmail offer free hosting of domains?

Mailboxes such as something@gmail.com are free which is the equivalent of anything@username.plus.com.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've just read that email and specifically searched for a thread.

I have never paid extra for neither email nor domains. But I have both.

I presumed everyone had email. I also presumed that the ability to create mailboxes (myaccount+something@plus...) was part of the service and there was no cost for it. I presume that I the invite to "carry on using it as you do now" means this won't change...?

What is unclear, however, is the meaning behind the domain part of the email, where it says that "you won’t be able to transfer in or host any other domains on this service".

I think the charge for domains was the £1 per month "offer" for PN to register and host a domain for you. I never did that but I do host a few domains (registered elsewhere) on PN so I can use the PN DNS and hosting platforms. This has never been chargeable (at least for my account type).

There's always been the ability to host, I think, 4 domains. Occasionally, I would swap one out and replace with another. It always requires a support call but it has always been sorted for me.

Does this email imply that domains already hosted are fine but no more hosting transfers will be possible ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Apologies for the confusion caused regarding this email if you don't currently pay for your domain service.

@MartynF wrote:

I received the same e-mail and found it mildly confusing. It says I won't be charged for e-mail or domain services, yet I haven't paid Plusnet a penny for many years.

Great news that they can offer me e-mail for free - just like the last 15 years Grin

Thanks for your loyalty!

From a quick search (which ultimately led me to this thread), I found others talking about being charged around £1 per month to keep their e-mail address after leaving Plusnet. Maybe I got lucky? I'm not sure. Different rules for different generations of customers, perhaps. Plusnet were never my ISP (except for PAYG dial-up internet way back when!), but I did have that domain many moons ago.

What a long time ago that was. Discussing this with one of my colleagues in our products team, the One Pound Domain was a feature embedded into some legacy products. As you've said it's likely to do with different generations of customers.

If my account has somehow fallen by the wayside into obscurity deep within Plusnet's database, I realise I should probably stay quiet and let it continue, but hey... curiosity killed the cat. I am currently a Plusnet mobile contract customer though!

I won't tell anyone if you don't. Smiley

@starfry wrote:

I presumed everyone had email. I also presumed that the ability to create mailboxes (myaccount+something@plus...) was part of the service and there was no cost for it. I presume that I the invite to "carry on using it as you do now" means this won't change...?

Yeah that's correct.

Does this email imply that domains already hosted are fine but no more hosting transfers will be possible ?

Yeah we're not taking on any more new domains, but any existing ones you have with us we'll continue to host from September.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet