Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain help please

Julie
Grafter

Domain help please

Hi
I have just brought a Domain at 123 reg.
Can anyone tell me the right options to use, to leave it hosted at 123 reg but linked to my CGI here please?
Thanks for any help Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
Julie
Grafter

Re: Domain help please

Hello
I am sorry to ask again but can anyone tell me how to set this up at 123.reg and what do I have to do here? Embarrassed
Thanks for any help
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
To point your domain to CCGI you'll need to transfer it into us for hosting. You can leave it registered with 123-reg for renewal though.
Julie
Grafter

Thanks Mand
I have changed the DNS entries at 123.reg but I am going round in circles to find the right ticket ant the support section.
Can you help point me in the right direction, thanks
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I did exactly this; domains with 123 and hosting on PN.
I was asked to raise a support ticket for the request when I wanted to do this.
You have to be very clear and explicit in your request that you are not transferring in the domain; you only want PN to handle the DNS for it. PN should tell you the DNS server addresses to enter on your DNS page within 123-reg.
PN should set up the DNS for your domain and make it appear in the PN control panel. My domains show an expiry date of 0000 which is because I have not actually transferred them in.
You then need to use the Manage DNS option on 123-reg to update the DNS to use the servers given to you by PN.
Hope this helps,
John
Julie
Grafter

Thanks Very much  Smiley
I actually ended up ringing support because I went round in circles at the support pages trying to put in a ticket.
A very nice guy at Support did it for me and then I just configured it as per this guide
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/14
decomplexity
Rising Star

I second Starfry's comment.
PN would save themselves and customers a whole heap of pain if the domain Transfer In mechanism was split thus:
Transfer in (registration and DNS hosting, and provide webspace)
Transfer in (DNS hosting and provide webspace; leave registration with current registrar)
PN could alternatively split out the registration bit instead, although it is unlikely anyone would want to switch to PN as registrar
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Webgirl
Dabbler

Just adding my two penny worth - I'm just at the beginning of considering using PN for some of my web work. I have my own site and other bits of space I'm involved with in various places, but all the domains I look after are with Easily - all together. I find all hosts make a bit of a feet mark about this by not communicating with people properly... not saying they do it deliberately... but well, it feels like it doesn't it. As more people become savvy about this stuff... the 'brassed off' factor will grow in the customer base... people like to keep all their domains together in one place, but web space by it's nature is often distributed... not sure what it is providers do or don't get on this issue, what it is they think they're achieving by being uninformative, but it is a recurring headache for us isn't it.