cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain forwarding and robots.txt files

SavedbyJesus

Domain forwarding and robots.txt files

Hello,
I have just recently added a website to my free space with Plusnet. I have also purchased a domain called savedyjesus.co.uk which I forward to herby.plus.com. However, when I point the robots checker to the file http://www.savedbyjesus.co.uk/robots.txt I get this error:ERROR: The server returned 302 for the url. Can anyone help?
Also how much bandwidth is allowed on the free webspace?
Thank you and kind regards,
Paul
7 REPLIES 7
Prod_Man
Grafter

Re: Domain forwarding and robots.txt files

Hello there,
Depending on which subscription you have registered for,
The standard Terms and Conditions of the Service specify usually you cannot transfer the entire Webspace size in a any one 24 hour period.
You'll need to setup the Domain Table correctly in the Members Centre => Domain Names and hitting the "Configure" button on the Listed Domain that you've baught inorder to find the Table.
Following the Domain Name Setup Guide on the UserTools Space @ UserTools - Tutorials - Domains > Setting up records
As it depends how you wish to setup your Domain,
either to use the WWW Space (Example: ftp.plus.net) or CCGI Space (Example: ccgi.plus.net).
Hope that helps!
Jim,
SavedbyJesus

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your reply. I did not explain very well what I wanted to do in my post.
I have created a website on my free space which works fine it can be seen here www.herby.plus.com
However, I wanted my domian www.savedbyJesus.co.uk to point to my plusnet address so spiders and the SEO worked correctly, i.e a 301 redirect I believe. I have changed my DNS on the savedbyJesus host to the following:-
@ A 194.154.164.82
* CNAME herby.plus.com.
www A 194.154.164.82
www CNAME herby.plus.com.
I hope the above is right it should take 48 hours to find out.
As a side note do you know how make http://herby.plus.com point to http://www.herby.plus.com? As it stands http://herby.plus.com is a page not found.
Any help would be great.
Kind Regards,
Paul
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

herby.plus.com points to your plusNet IP and is used to allow people to access a web server they have at home on their broadband connection. It cannot be changed to point anywhere else.
Prod_Man
Grafter

As I expected,
Your Domain Records are almost there but a few incorrect settings Wink
Plesse note that "www.herby.plus.com" is not the same as your Assigned Braudband Hostname "herby.plus.com",
currently all the webpage requests are now sent to your Home Router instead of the Web Server Wink
Hence "Page Not Found".
( This is a common misconception that www. is an unnecessary prefix )

Cleaning Up
I suggest first we start by just clearing all the current records as we have no options to Edit.
Once you have done this, you'll be able to re-insert the Records with the correct Data Smiley

Now, for your WWW Space (hence www.herby.plus.com) to appear as "www.savedbyjesus.co.uk",
you will need to create two Types of Domain Records in your  Domain Table for it to work.

#1 Domain - A
First an A (address) Record and second a CNAME Record.
You first need to look up the IP address of the WWW Space by using Command Prompt - it's nothing too difficult!
Using Ping we can just show the resolved IP Address from the DNS - think of it like a Post Code for A house with all the Webpage information in.
Start => Run => cmd.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\User> ping www.herby.plus.com
Pinging homepages.plus.net [212.159.9.131] with 32 bytes of data:

See - [212.159.9.131]?
This means that you first record will be type - A (address) record line,
it needs to hold this IP (212.159.9.131) and should point to the Base of the domain name (savesbyjesus.co.uk)
It should then read like this:
Left Field Type Pri Right Field
savesbyjesus.co.uk. A 212.159.9.131

Because we haven't put "www.savesbyjesus.co.uk" it means that ANY sub-domain (should you choose to have) will resolve an address for the particular location you want if you add separate records later.
For Example, you could have:
blog.savedbyjesus.co.uk
forum.savedbyjesus.co.uk
This method just allows easy configuration for easy to remember Domain Names...
It also means someone can type in the Domain Name without www. and it should still resolve the page.

#2 Domain - CNAME
Your second record will then be of type CNAME, that associates the Domain Name you've baught (savesbyjesus.co.uk)
with the Free Hostname Address (www.herby.plus.com).
We do it by setting the Left Field as www and the right field as www.herby.plus.com.
Left FieldTypePriRight Field
www CNAME www.herby.plus.com.

#3 Domain - Mail (Optional)
You can add a Domain Mail Record - If you wish to send and receieve EMails via the Domain Name - with your PlusNet Mail Boxes.
This means all the mail sent to the Domain is forwarded strait to your PlusNet Mail boxes.
mx 20 mx.last.plus.net.

The Finished Product
The, whole thing could look like this:
savesbyjesus.co.uk. A 212.159.9.131
www CNAME www.herby.plus.com.
mx 20 mx.last.plus.net.

It is not crucial which order they are put in, it makes no odds Wink
It shoudl take around 23-4 hours from when you make all the changes for the PlusNet DNS's to Update their settings.
Hope that helps! It's a long post (Please notify me if there are errors / misleading thing's I've written)
Jim,
SavedbyJesus

Dear Jim,
Firstly I like to say a big thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem. It's people like you that make the Internet (&World) such a great place. Smiley
Secondly you’re how to is superb, very clear and concise.
I would just like to double check before I start fiddling again  Huh
Savedbyjesus.co.uk is hosted/registered with 123 reg.co.uk. Herby.plus.com is with plus.net.
The changes you suggest should be made to the DNS user panel at 123-reg?
I will hang fire until I get a response.
Thank you again and God Bless you,
Paul
NB I have just thought my blog is at ccgi.herby.plus.com and my forum resides at ccgi.herby.plus.com/phpBB-3.0.1/phpBB3/  can I make forum.savedbyjesus.co.uk and blog.savedbyjesus.co.uk point at them?
SavedbyJesus

Update I did change the settings yesterday and this morning I now have 404 error at www.savedbyjesus.co.uk is this normal during the transfer?
Update I have found this article:
Setting up domain hosting only
If you have a domain that is hosted by another company, such as a dedicated hosting company, you might be able to use the domain on your PlusNet webspace. Visitors to the domain will arrive at your PlusNet hosted website as if the domain was also hosted on your PlusNet service.
1) Contact your current host
You need to contact your current host and have them change the name server addresses of your domain to:
Primary Nameserver Secondary Nameserver
NS1.FORCE9.NET NS2.FORCE9.NET
195.166.128.16 195.166.128.17
2) Wait for the change to become visible on your domain records
It can take 24 hours or more for a change to your domain's name server address to become visible. You can check the status of your domain, by contacting your host. You can also do an online check of the domain records - View your domain records.
3) Contact our support team using the Help Assistant
Once your domain's name servers have updated to the ones noted above, contact our Support Team using the Help Assistant, requesting that your domain be entered into our DNS system.
I have now done this.
Kind Regards,
Paul
Prod_Man
Grafter

Sorry, I been a bit busy today! Cheesy
Yeah when I started my Domain it took a good 36 Hours for every change I made to get through to the Plus Net DNS's.
From here I can now view the Domain perfectly! Smiley
It might have been PlusNet's DNS's being a little slow.
I am glad that I was of help and that it all made some sense  Roll_eyes
as I am usually a bit too heave handed on the "indepth-techi" non-sense.
Thanks!
Hit us back if you have any further Queries or Problems Wink
Jim,