Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Renewal

FIXED
thejudge
Rising Star

Domain Renewal

Previously (and by that I mean going back some 16 years), if I needed to renew my +net-hosted domain, I clicked on a link on the 'My Webspace' page and it renewed automatically from there.

Now there seems to be no such link, and I had an email from +net a few weeks ago saying that I needed to go to 'Contact Us' or phone them to do this.

Two questions:

a) is this correct? And, if so, which of the two options will get the most prompt response?

b) why has the process been made more complicated?

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Domain Renewal

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware you can't renew a domain online yourself, I believe that this was once possible as you've said, but due to an issue and that our domain hosting is a legacy service nowadays I'm afraid that it's not possible anymore.

Happy to provide feedback to the appropriate people as I appreciate self-serving can make things easier for everyone.

However, for the time being at least we'll need to manually raise a task with our infrastructure engineers instead. The e-mail you've received which advises to go to the Contact Us page or phone us are very similar options as the Contact Us page would lead you to options to call in or get in touch via live chat.

Either option would be as quick as each other dependent on how long it takes to get through to an adviser. As I type this there's currently a 3 min queue to phone us, although I'm not sure about the wait time for a chat adviser as I can't see that.

We're also happy to help via Facebook Messenger and Twitter as well as over here, so I've raised the task for you now and I'd expect your domain to be renewed within the next 3 working days.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@thejudge, I've received a response back and discussed this with a colleague in our engineering team and I've been advised that if the auto-renew flag is showing as yes on your account (we've checked and it is) then we'll proactively renew your domain when the time comes. Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

@Anoush, Many thanks for this. Is there a date by which the auto-renewal will be confirmed? I wouldn't want to have to scramble around at the last minute to renew. TIA
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Fix

Hi @thejudge

I have had an update from the relevant team and have been told that your domain has renewed today.

Please feel free to get back in touch with any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
thejudge
Rising Star

Thanks, Faris!
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

We'll make sure to pass your thanks along to @Beyhive when he's back in on Monday.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you need any further assistance at all.

gamma498

Hi,

I've just received an email from Nominet saying that my ownership of my domain names hosted on my webspace runs out on June 25th and that Plusnet can no longer support UK registrations. Is this correct? If so, how do I go about renewing my ownership? I have entered my domain name in a registering website but it says it is not available and lists Plusnet as the host (please see below). Any information would be much appreciated,

regards, Steve Nicholson

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION REGARDING YOUR WEBSITE DOMAIN NAME. PLEASE ENSURE THIS EMAIL IS PASSED TO THE RELEVANT PERSON TO ACTION, IF NOT YOURSELF.

We’re writing to you as you are listed in Nominet’s records as the appropriate contact for the following domain name:

spondonownersclub.co.uk

stroker-heaven.co.uk

The right to the equivalent .uk domain, e.g spondonownersclub.uk, was automatically reserved for you as part of the .uk launch process in 2014. According to our records you have not taken up your right to the equivalent .uk domain and the deadline to do so is less than four days away: 06:00 BST (UTC +1) on Tuesday 25 June 2019.

Following this date, the domain will be made available on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

You may also have acquired the rights to other equivalent .uk domains in addition to the domain listed above.

Your current registrar Plusnet Plc t\a Plusnet PLC is not able to support .uk registrations at this time; if you would like to register your reserved .uk domain, we recommend you look online for another registrar and contact them to assist you to register spondonownersclub.uk for example as a matter of urgency.

If you have recently transferred your name, or do not wish to register the .uk equivalent, then no action is needed.

Further background information on reserved domains is available on our website, www.theukdomain.uk/rights

Alternatively, if you have any questions, please contact our customer services team via email at nominet@nominet.uk

Sincerely,

Nick Wenban-Smith

General Counsel

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Your .co.uk domains haven't changed, your right to acquire the equivalent .uk domains will run out in 4 days time.
gamma498

ahhhh! I need to learn to read properly! Thanks for that, I thought I needed to take some action to keep the domains I have.

cheers, Steve