cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name, someone please help me

FIXED
GuyHighfield

Domain Name, someone please help me

Hi, I have transferred my old Domain "guy1.co.uk" from the old Freenetname/Madasafish to 123Reg & they have received it no problem, BUT my new web page will not up load ? 123 Reg say "You will have to point the domain guy1.co.uk to the IP address of the Website Builder package, which is 94.136.40.85." Can any of you clever guys help me with this please ?

Regards Guy

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Domain Name, someone please help me

You'll need to do it via the 123-reg control panel so they're probably best suited to advise.

Make sure the name servers are set to 123-reg then create a manual DNS 'A record' to point guy1.co.uk to the IP in question.

If you want www.guy1.co.uk to point to the same place aswell then set up a 'CNAME record' to point www to guy1.co.uk.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

GuyHighfield

Thanks Bob, I have given 123reg that message but they also said,

As the domain is using third party nameservers, the DNS records of the domain can only be managed from their end and not from 123-reg.

You will have to contact your nameserver provider and ask them to point the domain to the IP address of the Website Builder.

feels like I am piggy in the middle at the moment ? 

Guy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

They're right in a way.

Your name servers are still pointed to us:

Registrar:
        123-Reg Limited t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
        URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 25-Nov-1999
        Expiry date:  25-Nov-2017
        Last updated:  01-Mar-2017

Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
        ns1.force9.net
        ns2.force9.net

We don't offer hosting only on Madasafish so you're going to need to switch the nameservers over to 123-reg. You should find something in their Control Panel that lets you do this:

123.jpg

That 'Reset to 123-reg default' button will switch the name servers to 123-reg. You'll then be able to set the record up at their side.

Madasafish does not allow the creation of custom domain records so there's no way we can create the A record.

I envisage a problem here though. Are you using this domain for email too? At the moment things are pointing to our email servers. If things are working now, they'll soon break because you've transferred the domain out. You can't have a domain registered externally that points directly to the Madasafish email servers. You'll need to set up email forwarding with 123-reg to redirect email to your @madasafish.com address (or alternatively host the email elsewhere).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

GuyHighfield

Thanks Bob for all your help, my site is now up & running.

Many thanks Guy