Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

FIXED
Busychip
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

I have been a very satisfied customer of Plusnet for years, and have recommended them to various friends and neighbours on many, many occasions. This is not least because of the generally excellent customer service I have received.

However, there is one slight fly in the ointment, and that is the issue of Domain Name renewal.

Due to a succession of company takeovers, I came to Plusnet via the Freenetname->Brightview->Madasafish->Plusnet route and, as a result, I still have a "Free-For-Life" domain name that I original acquired when I joined Freenetname over 20 years ago. The constant provision of this is another key reason why I have stayed put, as I totally rely on this domain name for email purposes.

Prior to my billing being transferred to Plusnet itself, my domain name was always renewed automatically, with no action required by myself. However, since being "adopted" by Plusnet, I have had to chase this up via Customer Services every time, and the experience has proved painful. I think the problem may be that only relatively small numbers of customers still have this Free-For-Life domain name facility, so many Customer Services staff are possibly unaware of its existence.

I cannot do the renewal myself, as there is no facility on the Plusnet website. This is probably because Nominet list the Registrar as "Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]".

Last time around, getting the renewal done was a painful exercise, where I spent several hours being passed from one person to another before I eventually received help from the excellent [CSA Removed] (CSC Analyst), who did the renewal for me.

My Domain Name is once again due for renewal in just under a fortnight’s time and, rather than go through the painful route of contacting Customer Services again, I see from the forum that several others have received help from "Gandalf" and other "official" forum users in resolving this same problem.

Anyone out there who can assist me, please? 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

6 REPLIES 6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Domain Name Renewal - Freenetname

I’ve read not long ago that Madasafish domains are now renewed automatically so it may be worth checking who.is after your renewal date. 

As far as I’m aware a domain isn’t deactivated instantly if not renewed, there’s a 30 day grace period. 

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Busychip wrote:

My Domain Name is once again due for renewal in just under a fortnight’s time and, rather than go through the painful route of contacting Customer Services again, I see from the forum that several others have received help from "Gandalf" and other "official" forum users in resolving this same problem.

Anyone out there who can assist me, please? 

@Busychip 
The renewal can be escalated with a request to action but it would be necessary to know the domain name - are you able to identify it here, for follow-up (?) If you would prefer it not to be publicly visible, please send me a PM with this info, thanks.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Busychip 

Many thanks for the PM with details of the domain name. The renewal request has now been escalated so hopefully will be actioned before the renewal date.

As far as I know, domain names are only ever renewed now (by PN) for a single year ongoing, so it's probably worth putting a note in your calendar to check a couple of weeks before the renewal falls due, on an annual basis.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Busychip
Dabbler

Thank you very much for escalating the request, Penny. Hopefully that will solve the issue shortly - at least for this year. I'll keep an eye on the Nominet listing to check for the renewal being actioned.

Because of the previous difficulties experienced in getting the renewal done, I do already have an automatic reminder set up and that, in fact, is what brought me to the forum on this occasion.

Busychip
Dabbler

Hi Penny. Very pleased to see that my domain name has been renewed as of this morning. Sincere thanks for your help with this.

Following my to previous experience, I was dreading having to go through the renewal process via the conventional route, but doing it this way - with your help - has proved delightfully painless. You will be sorry to hear that you now have a new friend for life 😉

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Busychip 

Many thanks for the update, and delighted it was renewed for you so swiftly.

The support teams are very helpful, just a bit over-stretched with all the covid stuff, I think.  Let's hope things are fully back to normal by this time next year : )