Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Registration

giraffeandtiger
Grafter

Domain Name Registration

Hi,
I have a second domain name (.co.uk) registered with Plusnet - they're charging £51.75 for what I think is two years worth (in advance) of having it registered with them.  I'm aware that there are better deals out there for registering domain names with other companies.
1. Can anyone recommend any decent cheap reliable companies who will register my domain name for cheaper - how much cheaper?
2. If I choose NOT to renew the .co.uk I have registered with Plusnet (if I leave it much longer I'm going to get charged another £51.75) will the domain name become freely available again?
3. Is there a mechanism to transfer the domain name registered with Plusnet to another company directly? (I would then want to point the domain name back to my Plusnet webspace.
Thanks,
Alan
4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Domain Name Registration

PN's sister Just the Name?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You could transfer it from Plusnet to somebody like 123-Reg. There is no charge for the transfer and they charge just £5.98 for two years. (http://www.123-reg.co.uk)
Once the transfer has completed (48 hours ?) you can then arrange for Plusnet to host the domain with the management remaining with 123-Reg.
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/dns_hosting.shtml
giraffeandtiger
Grafter

Thanks for the advice 🙂 I had a look at Just the Name, but one of my friends also recommended 123-Reg so I am going to go with them.  They have an excellent interface and control panel and more importantly are cheaper (almost 10th of the price of Plusnet in fact).
Is there a reason Plusnet are so expensive for domain registration?
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PlusNet's core business isn't domain registration so they don't want to do it. Just like I'd charge you - well name any high price to do anything I don't want to be bothered with  Cheesy
123-reg are excellent - cheap reliable and what more do you need. Then point your nameserver back at PlusNet and you can host your website in their free space.