cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Email Setup

bewin
Dabbler

Domain Email Setup

I have purchased my own domainand rgistered it with Just The Name (Owned by Plusnet)
I've laready got a Plusnet email address but want to use my domain instead.
Can someone provide me with a step by step guide how to setup a domain email account?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Domain Email Setup

The basic principle with Plusnet and domain names hosted by them is that anything addressed to me@username.plus.com and me@mydomain.co.uk goes to the same mailbox as, once it is in the Plusnet system, it only looks at the bit before the @
To give step by step details this is the sequence
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings
Click on Manage My Mail
Then Create new email address
Then click on Mailboxes
Then Add new mailbox
This will give you this screen
Once you have setup the mailbox you can start using it after about 30 minutes
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Unless you are on an old product that allowed free domain hosting I think you'd set up Mail Forwarding from Just The Name to your Plusnet mail box(es) to support use of your domain address for email. This is described in the Just The Name features page:
[quote=http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/features.shtml#mail_forwarding]
Mail Forwarding
This is a re-direction facility which allows you to specify where the email for your domain name goes.
For instance if you have an email account with your ISP in the form of yourname@anISP.co.uk (or something like that) you could have email for: anything@yourdomain.co.uk go to yourname@anISP.co.uk
You would then continue to use your existing mailbox to send and receive email from/to your domain. This means you can have unlimited email addresses such as info@yourdomain.co.uk, or sales@yourdomain.co.uk, or john@yourdomain.co.uk, etc...
The burning question you are now asking yourself....but won't that mean that people will see yourname@anISP.co.uk as my email address when I send out mail?
No. So long as you set your 'email' and 'reply to' address as something@yourdomain.co.uk in the account properties of your email program such as Eudora or Outlook Express then this is what people will see as being your email address.
Oldjim explained how you set up as many different mailboxes (or aliases) as you need on your Plusnet account. The red highlighting in the quote is mine and explains how you ensure 'from' and 'reply to' addresses show your domain address. Mail is sent using relay.plus.net as normal.
David
bewin
Dabbler

Thanks to both Old Jim & spraxyt, both explanations are clear but I decided to follow Old Jim's procedure and leave mail forwarding to a later time.
Up to now I've had only 1 mailbox - me@username.plus.com - and logging onto webmail was easy with username.
I've now created 2 mailboxes - me@mydomain.co.uk and wife@mydomain.co.uk - but what would be the usernames for each of us to logon to webmail?
Also, it's the same for how would each of us would logon to 2 mailboxes - me@username.plus.com and wife@username.plus.com
Can you show the details of the logon procedure?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

How did you create a mailbox called me@yourdomain.co.uk and the similar one for wife?
When you are creating mailboxes in Manage My Mail the form you see should be like

What email address do you want to create? (Just enter the section before the @symbol)
Email address:  [                    ]  @username.plus.com
Entries between 1 and 45 characters in length.
This can be made up of letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), dots, underscores or hyphens.

So the only valid entries using the names you've mentioned would be me and wife.
With me as the default mailbox you would login to webmail to see mail to me@username.plus.com using username and the account password. To see mail to wife@username.plus.com you would enter username+wife in the username box and use the password for wife.
With regard to mail to your domain address, is your domain hosted by Plusnet? If it is you will find mail to me@yourdomain.co.uk appears alongside mail to me@username.plus.com when you view the latter in webmail. The same applies for wife@yourdomain.co.uk.
David
bewin
Dabbler

My mistake, I accidentally reversed things and should've written ....
I've now created 2 mailboxes - me@username.plus.com and wife@username.plus.com but what would be the usernames for each of us to logon to webmail?
Also, it's the same for how would each of us would logon to - me@mydomain.co.uk and wife@mydomain.co.uk
I understand your explanation for logging onto webmail - me@username.plus.com = username and the account password. And for wife@username.plus.com = username+wife and the account password and both acounts are working OK
My domain is viewable through 'My Account' with Plusnet but is hosted by Just The Name (owned by Plusnet) to who I pay the annual Nominet registration fee.
At the end of setting up - wife@username.plus.com - the following was displayed....
'Note: If you have a domain name hosted on your account, you can use your domain name in place of username.plus.com when setting up your email software'
Question: - Does this refer to an email client like MS Outlook and/or webmail?
I arranged for 2 emails to be sent to - me@username.plus.com & me@mydomain.co.uk - but the only email that arrived was - me@username.plus.com
Question: - How do I get emails to me@mydomain.co.uk to appear alongside mail to me@username.plus.com in webmail as you advised?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I know that Just The Name is owned by Plusnet but registering a domain name at JTN does not mean the domain is hosted by Plusnet in its ISP role. The "If you have a domain name hosted on your account  " note you referred to at the bottom of the MMM set-up page applies only for domains hosted by Plusnet ISP.
To achieve what you are aiming for you need to use the Just The Name control panel to forward mail sent to your domain addresses to the appropriate Plusnet ISP username.plus.com equivalents. The messages will then appear alongside emails sent directly to the username.plus.com address.
Reply #2 provides more information including how you supply your domain address in replies. The information applies for emails handled by webmail or an email client such as MS Outlook.
David