cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain At Plusnet, Host Elsewhere?

crbh

Domain At Plusnet, Host Elsewhere?

I have a domain registered at PlusNet which I would like to keep here (since it has all my business emails on it!), but our new website can't be hosted on PlusNet since we need more space & SQL accounts than we can get.
The new site is hosted at Namecheap and uses cPanel, but I want to keep the domain at PlusNet - Is there a way I can configure my DNS records (A records/CNAME etc) so that the PlusNet domain points to my new website/host?
Thanks! Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
MartyPop
Rising Star

Re: Domain At Plusnet, Host Elsewhere?

I'm not sure if this would work with PlusNet but try changing your domain nameservers to the Namecheap nameservers and then login to your cPanel at Namecheap and change the MX records to point to PlusNet's MX. If it works, your website will be hosted at Namecheap and your mail will still be at PlusNet. I've found that this method works with some, but not all, hosting providers. Do it entirely at your own risk!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Domain At Plusnet, Host Elsewhere?

Quote from: MartyPop
I'm not sure if this would work with PlusNet but try changing your domain nameservers to the Namecheap nameservers...

Our Domain Control System won't allow that I'm afraid Sad
Quote from: MartyPop
... and then login to your cPanel at Namecheap and change the MX records to point to PlusNet's MX.

Our mail exchangers will only accept mail for an account if the domain is hosted with us
This suggests you /might/ be able to point to Namecheap using A/CNAME records, but you'll need to get in touch with them to find out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵