cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain A Records

Chris28
Fixes: 1

Domain A Records

I have setup a web server locally on my local network, however I would like to use my domain to access this.

I assume I need to change the A Records to allow me to do this, I am not planning to use any sub-domains so its only the TLD i wish to point to my local IP and server rather than the PN servers.

I would also like to maintain the current DNS servers for resolution within PN, as well as email etc.

So its essentially just the pointer for the website that I require redirection to my static IP.

The main reason for this, is do I can use SSL via Lets Encrypt to ensure the data is secure. 

So basically I need an idiots guide on how to do this, or if the PN techs can do this for me.

9 REPLIES 9
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Domain A Records

Do you have a personal domain ? if so it will depend on which company hosts the DNS records for that domain. Many companies allow you to change DNS settings on-line, and should provide (minimal) instructions on how to do that, although probably won't tell you exactly what you need to change for your specific use case (it is very easy to mess things up). If the domain is though plusnet I don't believe they have a way for you to make the changes, so you'll have to find a willing member of staff.

I host my own web and e-mail servers on my plusnet account (domains are not through plusnet) so may be able to help with settings if necessary - although it is pretty easy just for a single web server address.

Chris28

Yes, and its currently hosted with PlusNet.

PlusNet do allow changes to DNS records, but its knowing what to change and how to change.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

It should simply be a case of adding an "A" record with your desired website domain (with www. prefix) and the static IP.

Personally I add A records for both the bare domain and www. variant (i.e. mydomain.co.uk and www.mydomain.co.uk).

It can take 24 hours for change to propagate world-wide, but as you'll probably be using plusnet's DNS servers you should see changes pretty quickly. You'll also have to adjust your router settings port forward http requests, and if you want to use the domain from inside your network you'll have to enable NAT loopback.

Chris28

Thanks for that, this is what I have at the moment.

I assume the top setting stays a default, that the bit where I am slightly confused. Otherwise I would have to potentially change the main DNS name resolution servers.Capture.PNG

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Looking at that screenshot I'd guess you need to select the "Other - I wish to specify DNS records..." before the configuration you've entered would take effect.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

You need to select the 'other' option. The left-hand field also needs a qualifying dot at the end. I'd suggest:-
domain.tld. A IP address
www CNAME domain.tld.
Note the dots at the end of the domain name.
Any changes should propogate overnight if done today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

Hi, I know this in an old thread, but a search brought it up, as I'm trying to do the same thing - I have the "www" A record working, but can't enter the "naked" one as it won't accept the @ char.

Am I correct in reading that it should work if you put the full (naked) domain name in the left field? (followed by a .)

ie.

mydomain.co.uk.

rather than

@

?Huh

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, entering the fully qualified domain name (followed by a dot) in the left field should work.Thumbs_Up

David
OriginalBigBri
Dabbler

Brilliant, all up and running Smiley

Cheers!