Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this device exist? Help Please!

FIXED
jamesiaciofano

Does this device exist? Help Please!

Hi There,

I have a LAN network set up in my home, my entry point connects directly to a patch panel upstairs and the Plusnet router, i'm on Plusnet fibre and devices plugged in to the network seem to work at speed however the WIFI on mobiles or other devices seems to be lagging! I hoping someone can advise me if the product im looking for exists!

Is there some sort of repeater or ariel that i can plug into one of my LAN ports around the house to add to the WIFI signal? When i search i end up seeing the power plugs or repeaters and extenders but nothing that seems to plug into the LAN ports to create extra signal, any help on a product name or what a device like that should be called would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Does this device exist? Help Please!

Fix

Welcome to the forum.

What you need is a Wireless Access Point. Here is an example.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B013HCO332?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_43...

Some routers can also be configured as a WAP. If you have a spare one tell us what type it is or do a google search to see if it can be used.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jamesiaciofano

Thanks Baldrick for the advice and quick response! i shall have a look into this and try it out, i do have the older plusnet router and was thinking i could do something with this but didn't want to much messing around! i would prefer a plug and go tye thing.

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya Jim. Firstly (another) welcome to our community forums.

Let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance at all.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I'd recommend the Ubiquiti access points - I use three UAP-AC-LR (long range) and one UAP-AC-PRO to give good coverage over my large (part thick-stone walled) house, outbuildings, and a couple of acres of garden. I can just pick up my wi-fi on a hill about half a mile from my house (but there are no other houses in the way). They are enterprise level devices, so cost more than some, but they just work reliably 24/7. I've never had to reboot one apart from when I update the firmware. They are also PoE, so you can put them in your loft or similar places where there is no mains power.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@corringham wrote:

IThey are also PoE, so you can put them in your loft or similar places where there is no mains power.

Are you saying that you can run all four by powering them all from Plusnet Hub Ethernet sockets? If so I’m mightily impressed with the Hub. I do however suspect that we’re talking about a totally different budget requirement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

No, the Plusnet routers won't power them. However they do come with PoE injectors that you can place at the same place as your router (or any other convenient place), or if you happen to have a router or switch that provides PoE (I have several) then you can use that instead of the provided injector.

Edit: just in case anyone is thinking these are very expensive, you can find the AUP-AC-LR for under £100 inc delivery. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me - and I'm not on commission or work for them, just a happy user.