cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the BT Wholesale speedtest work on Firefox 57 ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the BT Wholesale speedtest work on Firefox 57 ?

I have noticed that the last few versions of Firefox appear to cause the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test to give erroneous results.

Using older PCs with older versions of Firefox, on the same network, gives perfect results every time.

Having upgraded most of my PCs today, to Firefox 57, the problem still persists.

Does the BT test work accurately for anybody else on Firefox 57 ?  or is it just me having an issue ?

I am assuming that the BT test doesn't work well with the new multi-threading capability of Firefox,  because if I watch my network activity graph while the speedtest is running, what the test is reporting on the screen does not correspond to the timing of when the network connection is active, and in particular the network monitor is showing that the test is still running AFTER the screen shows the test results !. 

Therefore I assume that the BT test is running multi-threaded, but those threads don't appear to be synchronized with each other.

8 REPLIES 8
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Does the BT Wholesale speedtest work on Firefox 57 ?

@Anonymous yes it has been noticed in several posts FF with flash dont work 100%   FF support say tell BTW to use HTML Shocked

I just updated to FF 58 and it still gives odd test results

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a member of Plusnet staff contact BT and ask when their test will be made compatible ?

@rongtw wrote:

FF support say tell BTW to use HTML Shocked

Have you got a link to that ?

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

@rongtw Give them a clue by sharing a nice html speed test https://www.nperf.com/en/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not looking for suggestions on speedtests, I have plenty of other means to get accurate results.

My reason for asking, is because I want to monitor what my BT exchange thinks my line speed and profile is, as I am about to go into the first of a series of connection upgrades, and as far as I know running the BTW test is the only way to get that information.

Yes I can use my old version of Firefox,  but if I could use a current version then that would be less inconvenient.

For me not a show stopper, but if this topic gives a heads up to someone who can get it fixed, then highlighting the problem will have been worthwhile.

Having played with Firefox 57 for a few hours now, I've not found anything else broken for me (on Linux), and I've just tried it on an old Pentium4 and now YouTube runs much smoother on v57 than v56 or previous.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry I thought I was replying to another thread on the same topic oops!

This One https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/BT-Wholesale-Broadband-Performance-Test-no-longer-work...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Roll_eyes  Yeah, I've done that a few times too.

At least you were trying to help someone,  unlike the forum staff who seem to have gone quiet answering any topics !

Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

As @Gandalf says in the other topic that the BTW test "Should be resolved now"

I have retested the problem I'm having (which is different to @goldenfibre 's problem here)

So running http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

on Firefox 11.0 works every time and gives expected results.

on Firefox 57.0 with Flash v27,0,0,187, the test does everything it should every time (i.e. it fully functions, including Further Diagnostics)

BUT the speedtest values are about 30% to 50% of expected, and latency is 300% of expected.

The network activity of the test is starting seconds before the screen says the test is running, and the network is still fully loaded for at least ten seconds after the test screen has shown the results.

So whatever change @Gandalf was reporting, hasn't fixed my problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf wrote:

@Anonymous @rongtw @bobminors @Browni

Your BBEU's circuit references have been passed to BTW.

Thanks @Gandalf, but the test always works on my circuit, my issue is that the results are incorrect using up-to-date browsers (and/or flash), but using older browsers(and flash) the result is correct and as expected.

See the post before this for details.

I will wait to see what BTW have to say.