cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to get a Transfer Authorisation Code out of Plusnet?

Waldegraveman

Does anyone know how to get a Transfer Authorisation Code out of Plusnet?

I have been a user of Plusnet's services (in various guises from Freenetname onwards) for over 20 years.  The ability to contact Plusnet has diminished progressively over the years.  Now, I am only an e-mail-hosted client, but the mail servers seem to have taken against me and sending mails gets me a series of spurious return messages and the mails just don't go.  Resending the exact same mail later, or the next day, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  I have decided to move to another domain host (either Ionos or GoDaddy - comments please) and both say that they need a Transfer Authorisation Code before I can move the domain to them, but, I don't know where to get this code from.  Can anyone help?  It is a .org.uk domain.

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Does anyone know how to get a Transfer Authorisation Code out of Plusnet?

@Waldegraveman If you are on an email only account, then you do not need any authorisation. Do you actually have a domain with Plusnet - it doesn't sound like it?

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

That's not true. It's a .uk domain so what you need to do is ask the rew registrar for their IPS Tag. You then provide that to Plusnet who will update the details with Nominet. That puts the domain in a state where the new registrar can transfer it across.

See Ionos' website here for example.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Thanks, @bobpullen . I obviously misread the original post before I replied. Embarrassed

John
Waldegraveman

Thanks very much for the answers so far.  I now have some other questions as a result.

1) Assuming that I can get an IPS Tag (whatever that is), how on earth do I send it to Plusnet?  Do they have an e-mail address, because if they do, I can't find it on their website.

2) Do you know how long I will be out of touch with the world e-mailwise whilst this process is going on?

3) As far as you know, are Ionos and GoDaddy's e-mail hosting offerings broadly the same?

I'm sorry to bother you with what must seem like stupid questions, but at 74 years old, my grasp on the computer world is slipping fast.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

how on earth do I send it to Plusnet?

When Will orvsomeone else from the Help team see this thread, they'll likely raise a ticket to which you can add the details 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Everything Else 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Waldegraveman

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how this gets me to an answer to my problem.  Whose job is it to supply me with a transfer number?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Whose job is it to supply me with a transfer number?

@Waldegraveman As explained earlier, there is NO transfer number. Your new chosen registrar should tell you what their IPSTAG is. You then request that Plusnet change the IPSTAG on your domain to that ( by posting a request here or by calling customer services )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.