Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plus.net allow web/mail servers for residential customers

sjb2016
Grafter

Does Plus.net allow web/mail servers for residential customers

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi to muck about with, and one of the things I'd like to do is set up a personal webserver and email server.  Do the Plus.net terms of service allow such personal servers or would I be breaking the TOS? Giving that it'd be hosted on a Pi, and the only person that cares about me is me (and maybe my family), it wouldn't be actually used much, but I'd like to know before I try and have my service terminated Wink
Regards,
Sam 
3 REPLIES 3
itsme
Grafter

Re: Does Plus.net allow web/mail servers for residential customers

Yes you can and an option in Manager My Mail is:
If you want to use SMTP delivery with your domain, change your mail delivery options. (Advanced users only)
Where you have the option for username.plus.com to be delivered to your server and if you have a registered domain then you need to change the DNS.
Edit: From memory if you have a static IP then www.username.plus.com go the Plusnet servers and username.plus.com use your static IP
sjb2016
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply.  Slightly confused though.  If I were to use my own domain name (registered somewhere else), could I set up the Pi to act as an SMTP server without interacting with Plus.net at all (other than using the pipe obviously) or do I need to register the server with Plus.net as they have some kind of ISP level control to help prevent spam and the like? 
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: sjb2016
If I were to use my own domain name (registered somewhere else), could I set up the Pi to act as an SMTP server without interacting with Plus.net

Yes
I was just demonstrating that Plus Net allow the running off servers as you have options within the control panels to do this using PN supplied email addresses, i.e username.plus.com