cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet apply traffic management on certain ports that might cause throttling?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Do Plusnet apply traffic management on certain ports that might cause throttling?

I maintain an SSH connection to a couple of servers at home so I can diagnose issues at work.  Since both SSH servers use port 22, I port forward through my router using two separate high ports.  I then tunnel VNC servers through the SSH connection.

I've noticed over the last few days that the connections have been particularly slow.  At first I thought this might be an issue with our network where I work. But I was told that the only throttling we do here is on particularly well-known bit-torrent ports.  So I changed my port forwarding.  Instead of using ports 19036 and 19015, I tried 1036 and 1015.  Problem solved. 

Is this something that PN do?  Are ports above a certain value subject to some form of throttling?  This isn't a moan by the way, just curious.  It would be handy to know so that I know which ports not to use in future.

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Do Plusnet apply traffic management on certain ports that might cause throttling?

Assuming you're on one of the newer products, there's no throttling on them.

But I was told that the only throttling we do here is on particularly well-known bit-torrent ports.

Not sure if it's still the same, but BitTorrent used to use quite high port numbers.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Re: Do Plusnet apply traffic management on certain ports that might cause throttling?

I'm on Unlimited Fibre Extra.  I have no idea if that is a "newer" product or not.  Been with PN since it was F9!

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.