cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do PlusNet customers still run their own websites?

BobbyV
Hooked

Do PlusNet customers still run their own websites?

I'm asking because after running a website on the CGI platform for around 10 years with no issues, I tried to update it and have run into all sorts of problems.
It looks like a simple password issue with the HUMBUG server but I can't find anyone at Plusnet to help.
Basically, they are saying that no one is using the CGI space and they no longer have tech support guys who understand it.

The only reason I have been with PlusNet for so long is the included web space and excellent tech support, both of which now appear to be of no use.

I find this very strange as there must have been hundreds of websites hosted on PlusNet servers by their paying members, and I can't believe those customers just accepted losing their sites. But this is a quote from my support ticket, which has been sitting idle for the best part of a month now while PlusNet passes it around various departments.

"There is now only a limited number of advisors who are trained to deal with these types of quires as this is not something we come across very often. We are also moving away from domains completely in the very near future. Plusnet offers very little training on CGI and no training on My SQL, so apologies if this has gone unanswered for so long."

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Do PlusNet customers still run their own websites?

the answer is off course yes but in many - most - cases using a dedicated hosting company

In my case 1and1 and TSO Host both using Wordpress

I do have a Plusnet hosted site but it isn't active as the capacity and usage is too restrictive (I don't have CGI access either)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

We are also moving away from domains completely in the very near future.

That's an interesting snippet...Huh presumably that will affect email to hosted domains as well ?

Would someone from the Help Team care to comment ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@BobbyV wrote:

I'm asking because after running a website on the CGI platform for around 10 years with no issues, I tried to update it and have run into all sorts of problems.
It looks like a simple password issue with the HUMBUG server but I can't find anyone at Plusnet to help.

Could you expand on what "all sorts of problems" actually means? What error messages are you getting. It's several years since the humbug server was used. Hostopia made necessary MySQL code changes when sites were migrated.

Did your CGI website work before you tried to update it? If so do you still have copies of the files which worked?

David
BobbyV
Hooked

Thanks David. I didn't want to bore everyone with the details but I had a personal site running on the CGI platform and this was still working in December before I tried to make some changes.
I stupidly volunteered to produce and host a website for a local mental health charity and planned to replace my working Joomla website with a new Wordpress one, for the charity as I no longer needed my personal one.

I installed the new Wordpress site on a local server and had it all running well. I then thought it would be a simple matter to install Wordpress on my PlusNet space and upload the new website to it.

First I used FTP to move my existing file structure to an "OLD" folder, then I uploaded the WordPress folder structure to my CGI space, set the correct permissions, and ran the install. WordPress started the install, found the correct files but then claimed it could not get access to the server (see screen dump).

At that point, I assumed my password needed setting, or I was locked out, so I asked PlusNet to reset my password. And a month later they still don't appear to know how to do this.

So all I was really asking was are there many people running WordPress based sites on their PlusNet allocation and if so, how on earth do they get tech support?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

WordPress runs OK on Plusnet (Hostopia) CGI, in fact I have more than one. The problem you have is that the database credentials in its wp-config file are probably all incorrect. The correct information (DB name, user, password and host) will be in the Joomla configuration file. Hostopia changed these values when our sites were migrated from Plusnet CCGI to Hostopia.

Posting in this forum (obscuring personal information) is the means to get support.

David
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@MisterW wrote:

That's an interesting snippet...Huh presumably that will affect email to hosted domains as well ?

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@MisterW wrote:

Happy to comment.

Domains are a very small part of our offering and as such it is true that it's not something all our agents can support with but no decision has been taken to "move away from domains"

Edit

@BobbyV We're hoping for someone to get back to you today. Sorry for the delays and the misinformation. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@BobbyV, I've just added some comments to your open support ticket, hopefully it's of some use.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BobbyV
Hooked

Hey Bob!!! it's so good to know you're still with PlusNet.

Way back, many years ago, when I ran a massive website, you were always "the man" when it came to sorting out problems.
As soon as anyone saw "Bob Pullen" come up on a ticket, they knew everything would be sorted!
I've just seen your comments on the ticket, all makes sense so will go through it all tomorrow evening and hopefully get this charity website up and running at last.
Many thanks.