cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dividing my webspace into 2 departments.

keppy2008
Grafter

Dividing my webspace into 2 departments.

HI All clued up guys,
I am using FRONTPAGE to create and upload to my plusnet webspace .
I would now like to split the files into 2 seperate sections.
It would be perfect if one site is open to general access  and the second site with the access restricted in some way maybe requiring a password .
Guidance please to how i can achieve such a set up .
I have heard of SUB WEBS and not sure what this means....      ?????????  Or is there a  more simple way ? 
I assume plusnet wont give me a split on my username ?
Advice would be very welcomed.
Kenny

3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: Dividing my webspace into 2 departments.

The only real way to do this is to have www.keppy2008.plus.com and another site like  www.keppy2008.plus.com/newsite.
To do this create a directory in htdocs called newsite(or whatever you want to call it) put your new site in there with its own index.htm or index.html You dont need to link to it in the main site people will only find it if you give them the url  www.keppy2008.plus.com/newsite with this you can have as many sites as you like within reason.
To get the best you could get your own domain name host it on +net and then have your username site as well
You can password it if needed by htaccess file 
RobDickson
Grafter

I think what you're looking for is AddOn Domains, but I don't know whether PlusNet offers this.
xpcomputers
Grafter

As Samuria says, you can have www.keppy2008.plus.com and another site like www.keppy2008.plus.com/newsite.
However, if you buy (or already own) a domain name (eg keppy2008.co.uk or something else), then you can set this up to point to any folder in your webspace. So you could create one website on www.keppy2008.plus.com and the second on www.keppy2008.plus.com/newsite (as Samuria described), but then you could map the domain www.keppy2008.co.uk to point to www.keepy2008.com/newsite. That way visitors to www.keppy2008.co.uk would go to the newsite. Visitors to www.keppy2008.plus.com would see the original site.
You can see how to set this up here:-
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domain_management.shtml
You want item 2 in the diagram and instructions. Click "other" and put the folder name in the box (newsite in our example)
If your account allows you to host 2 or more domains, you can get one of them to point to the root folder, and the other to a subfolder, so that both of the above websites have their own proper domain name, rather than PlusNet account names.
This page will tell you how many can be hosted for free on your account:-
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/hosting_allowances.shtml
Most of the new accounts can host up to 5 for free, and each of those can point to their own folder, and therefore their own, totally independent, website.

Unless you have a business account that includes a domain name for free, then you are better off buying your domain name from outside PlusNet (for less than £10 for 2 years for a .co.uk, which is much cheaper compared with PlusNet's £24), and then transferring it in to PlusNet to host, but pay for renewals at the supplier you choose.