Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displayed URLs and cgi

AlFox
Grafter

Displayed URLs and cgi

Hi
I've recently moved my website from the 'normal' web-space to the CGI server, and added  a Wordpress blog.
When entering the site the correct URL is displayed in the browser (e.g. http://www.mysitename.co.uk/). However, when selecting an entry on the Blog page the displayed URL shows the server details (e.g. http://ccgi.mysitename.plus.com/blog/?p=57). The server details are then shown when going back to the rest of the site from the blog .
Is there any way of preventing the display of the server URL?
Note that the server details are also displayed in the Permalink URL when editing the blog.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Displayed URLs and cgi

I think this might have arisen from WordPress being installed using the ccgi address. If you log into WordPress using the administrator username, which displays the Dashboard, then select Settings, then General you should see two entries WordPress address (URL) and Site address (URL); I anticipate both of these will contain the ccgi address. Change both of these to the www domain form, then click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
I think that will change future permalinks to the required values; hopefully this will also change existing links.
David
AlFox
Grafter

Thanks!
That works! It's no entirely clear from the WordPress documentation that these URL's can be set to the main website URL and not the server itself but I can't see any problems so far.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear that worked.
Do you have any plans to move from ?p=57 style article links to what are sometimes called search-engine friendly URLs later (eg  /2010/12/my-excellent-blog)? This involves a .htaccess file, but slightly changed from the one WordPress suggests.
David
AlFox
Grafter

I had read about that but planned one step at a time! Pleased to hear how it should be set especailly if it's diffrerent to WordPress's recommendation. Thanks
dick:quote