cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk usage taken up by log files

gilbertG
Dabbler

Disk usage taken up by log files

Not sure if this has been posted here before but I thought I would share this with you all.
I have been trying to figure out why I am nearly up to my 250MB disk usage limit as the backups of the data on my site are nowhere near that size.
A bit of digging around and I discovered that access_log.processed is 142MB
A bit more digging and it turns out log rotate is set to rotate the files when they reach 2025139KB - that's 2000+MB around 8x my quota of 250MB.
So I have changed the settings to rotate the files daily, keep 7 files and compress them. Hopefully that will cut my disk usage considerably.
3 REPLIES 3
gilbertG
Dabbler

Re: Disk usage taken up by log files

Having saved and then deleted the 142MB log file the disk usage value hasn't dropped so either the log files don't count towards the usage figure (which seems to be contradicted by the usage reports) or more like the usage figure is updated on a scheduled basis rather than live.
Will keep an eye on it today and let you know if it drops.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I don't know how Plusnet work, but with my servers hosted elsewhere disk usage is caculated every 10 minutes, and the log files stored in an area outside of my filestore that has a quota on it.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gilbertG
Dabbler

It looks like the disk usage calculation is done once a day.
Yesterday it was reporting 213MB (even after I deleted the large log file) this morning it's reporting 46MB.
So I'd suggest you all check the log rotate settings to check that you're not going to get enormous log files using up all your disk quota.