cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Backup

chrisb

Database Backup

Hi,
I have a little site running on my plusnet cgi space.  I  would like to run a nightly database backup of the database.
Can anyone advise the best way to achieve this? script, cron job? how would I set these up?
Thanks for any help
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Database Backup

You don't have access to cron so that's out of the window I'm afraid, unless of course you run it locally? What operating system are you using? Windows? There are PHP applications you can use like the one here. Not my forté really so somebody else may be better positioned to offer advice.
Edit: looks like that will need cron access too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

adamcookeuk
Grafter

An option (given the circumstances) would be to create a script which can provide you with a dump of your database. You can then make a normal HTTP request to your webspace whenever you want to download it. This wouldn't be automatic but you could set up something on your local computer to make the request.
There are a couple of potential issues though:
1. If you have a large database, the script execution time may be longer than permitted.
2. You will need to ensure that the data is protected using some sort of authentication key.
3. You may want to (not sure if supported by PN) ensure that the data is transferred over HTTPS to keep it secure in transit.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

MySQL Administrator (and possibly Workbench) should let you schedule backups from a local machine.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵