cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Access problems

Merrick
Grafter

Database Access problems

Anyone else having problems accessing their database on SQL/CCGI this morning?

When i go to my forum URL i get the message below.

phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database

I can still access my webspace and my main website, just forum part of things not working
Merr
12 REPLIES 12
arsg0lgj
Dabbler

Re: Database Access problems

Hi yes also having problems
Trying to access Joomla based page for both users and admin and get "Could not connect to the database server"
Nothing on service status

My dbase server is rumpus
Ticket Logged
Regards Mark
Merrick
Grafter

yup im on rumpus as well
coincidence or what  Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Service status is on the way. Rumpus is having difficulties.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

Yup, looks like Rumpus is not responding.
Tracert stops at:
4    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  vl23.thn-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.20]
It looks like a problem slightly upstream of the database server itself.  No doubt networks have picked it up and we should be getting a Service Status shortly.
B.
EDIT:  Chris got in there Smiley

Merrick
Grafter

Looks like its back up Smiley
xpher
Grafter

No. Still getting lost connection warning
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

xpher, we need to ship some new hardware down to Telehouse before we're able to bring the service back up. Service announcement is here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

xpher
Grafter

Yes I've since seen that. It's just an unfortunate thing. Patience is a virtue.
RossGoodman
Dabbler

I understand that this is being worked on......
Is there a way so that instead of the database error page being displayed I can put a redirect in to another site?
Ross
http://www.RossGoodman.com (hopefully !)
Marteknet
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
we need to ship some new hardware down to Telehouse before we're able to bring the service back up.

Hi Bob. I have phoned this in twice over the last few days, there were no service notices posted each time the server shut down, I have a few questions you may be able to answer.
1. When the new hardware is installed and up and running, will customers databases be set up on the new server from the last backup.
2. What was the date of the last back up.
3. Why is there no backup server for times when the servers fall over.
4. Why has it taken so long for new hardware to be called in, this problem has been going on for a while, systems shutting themselves down is a classic symptom of pending hardware failure.
The last thing I would like to say is, for people with business that use the sql or any other service that fails this amount of downtime is not really acceptable we pay more for a so called better service then residential customers, where is this in this case, it seems we are all in the same boat if we use rumpus.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Marteknet
1. When the new hardware is installed and up and running, will customers databases be set up on the new server from the last backup.

We've not lost the databases. It's the box itself that's died so all data will be ported across to the new server.
2. What was the date of the last back up.

As above.
3. Why is there no backup server for times when the servers fall over.

Don't worry, it's on our hitlist of naughty servers that we need to improve the resiliency of! Wink
4. Why has it taken so long for new hardware to be called in, this problem has been going on for a while, systems shutting themselves down is a classic symptom of pending hardware failure.

It only started happening this week AFAIK.
The last thing I would like to say is, for people with business that use the sql or any other service that fails this amount of downtime is not really acceptable we pay more for a so called better service then residential customers, where is this in this case, it seems we are all in the same boat if we use rumpus.

It is true that the servers are the same, however we are looking to improve resiliency.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Marteknet
Grafter

Quote from: RossGoodman
I understand that this is being worked on......
Is there a way so that instead of the database error page being displayed I can put a redirect in to another site?
Ross
http://www.RossGoodman.com (hopefully !)

Hi Ross this works.
$chan = @mysql_connect ($db_host, $username, $password);
if (!$chan) {
die("what ever code you want goes here");
}
mysql_select_db ($DB_name, $chan);

This try's to connect to the sql server and if fails it displays what is inside the die command.  My pages now display some text saying there is a problem and a few images one which is a clickable link. this has got to be better then loads of error messages that to most people are just gibberish.
You could always place some javascript in the command and do a window.location.replace("URL to where you want to go");
I hope this helps.
Peter.