Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer cap on included space

techguy
Grafter

Data transfer cap on included space

Hi
Am thinking of setting up a technical reference site for the members of the community on my included space.
Now the question is simply, is there a cap on data transfer per month?
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Data transfer cap on included space

techguy
Grafter

Cheers Jim
There's so much info on PN's site that I reckon it'd take me two years to plough through it all so thats why I ask here.
Be3G
Grafter

Just a word of caution: PlusNet do intend to at some point launch user-generated support content on the Community site, which might usurp (hmm, don't think I've ever used that word before) upon your idea. With that in mind, it might be better to wait for that and perhaps offer your services to write for it or help keep it maintained.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Or write now and move to the "user generated content"  when it happens.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing to watch out for is that Google index PlusNet in minutes, so all the world would soon find out about your FAQ blog
techguy
Grafter

Oh yes the Google factor, its good if people find it of course but also bandwidth usage could prove an issue
Was thinking of purchasing some space a while back to do this but the prospect of bandwidth charges if I exceeded the included transfer alloweance did put me off to be honest as I doubt Google would have swallowed up my venture (I read somewhere that the guys that started youtube had to find quite a bit of cash each month just for bandwidth)
Suppose I'll just have to build my own IP network and set up some peering agreements   Grin
On second thought I'll wait and see what happens with the community changes Chilly
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
On second thought I'll wait and see what happens with the community changes Chilly

You may be a very old man by then  Wink If you have the enthusiasm then do I would do it now.
techguy
Grafter

Biggest obstacle will be time as going to knuckle down and get on with my networking stuff to move my career forward so I'll put it on the back burner for now
avalon
Grafter

Until the new community generated support pages gets off the ground you could always just write the articles and submit them to the PUG tutorials site.  It could do with a few new contributions.  As PUG has its own Plusnet provided server and it's located inside the PN network disk space and bandwith isn't really an issue for any articles.
techguy
Grafter

Hello me
I'll have a think but to be honest I think the idea is going on the back burner for a bit now as starting the networking next year and as prep I've spent two days with our network infrastructure guys at work watching what they do by following them round comms rooms staring at routers, switches and sheloads of Ethernet cable and fibre and so am gaining what I can to supplement what I've learnt from them and what I already knew from t'internet. (mindblowing stuff)