Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS settings for Force 9 cgi server

civval
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

DNS settings for Force 9 cgi server

What DNS records do I need to create to direct my domain to the Force9 cgi server, please?
18 REPLIES 18
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: DNS settings for Force 9 cgi server

You need an A record pointing to 91.136.8.9 and a CNAME pointing to ccgi.plus.net. You also need to raise a ticket to ask that we add your domain to your CGI Hosting account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

civval
Dabbler

Thank you that's helpful.  So just to confirm I point to ccgi.plus.net even though I am a Force9 customer?
Also can you please give a link to raising a support ticket.  I have spent 15 minutes in vain looking for it on the support site!
Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It wouldn't matter whether you enter ccgi.plus.net. or ccgi.force9.net. in the right-hand field since they both point to the same IP. However using the latter is more logical in your case. (Don't forget the dot after these domain names.)
Raising a support ticket is hidden away these days but typing help.plus.net in the address bar will take you to https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html. Then click on My Plusnet Hosting (CGI) and complete the ticket. Smiley
David
David
civval
Dabbler

Brilliant.  That's useful to know.  Thank you.
And am I right in putting the relevant domain name in the left field of the A record?
Keith
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes something like mydomain.co.uk. (with a dot) in the left field of the A record is correct. Then you'll have www (without a dot) on the CNAME record.
David
David
civval
Dabbler

Thanks for that.  I'm getting there slowly!
Next question:  Is it right that each subdomain has to be set up separately on the CGI server through a support ticket ?
At present they have just set up the naked domain.  Should I have asked for www.domainname.com? ; (Just to make it more complicated I have other sub-domains pointing at other, non plusnet, servers)
Keith
spraxyt
Resting Legend

As far as I'm aware each URL (subdomain.domainname.com) alias on the CCGI server needs to be requested individually on a ticket. A list on one ticket should suffice, However if the naked domainname.com has already been dealt with I suggest raising a new one for the subdomain.
You are entering subdomains into DNS as CNAME records. If that subdomain is hosted elsewhere the right-hand field entry will be different. When the request arrives at the third party IP, given the host header will the web-server know where to find the physical file?
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: civval
Next question:  Is it right that each subdomain has to be set up separately on the CGI server through a support ticket ?
At present they have just set up the naked domain.  Should I have asked for www.domainname.com?

No, the root domain will handle www requests. I don't believe it will handle any other subdomains though, which whilst possible, isn't really a supported request.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

civval
Dabbler

Thanks, that's helpful.  My current problem is more fundamental -
Try as I might I have no http access to any files on the ccgi server.  I can see the files on the control panel and I can connect with Filezilla but any browser hit brings up even for something as basic as ccgi.domainname.force9.co.uk/index.htm displays
"Not Authorized to View This Page [CFN #0004]"
Reading around this and other forums suggests a problem with .htaccess but I have disabled all the .htaccess files and I am getting nowhere.  Can you provide any support for this?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That error could result from index.htm not being in the /public folder. Or the index file is incorrectly named (eg index.html).
David
David
civval
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion but no it's not that.  The index.htm file is in the public folder and always has been.
The strange thing is that the browser is returning a HTTP 403 Forbidden error.  So the browser is connecting to something but I don't know what nor why it does not have appropriate permissions.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Did this work before domain hosting was added to your account?
Do you get an 403 Error if you try browsing to any other file in the /public root or a lower level directory? Do the file/directory ownership and access values (chmod) look to be correct?
David
civval
Dabbler

Yes it was all working fine.  I was working on files when the new domains were added and then I could not access anything.
I get 403 error on absolutely everything I try.
I'm not convinced about the chmod settings because I had not paid much attention to them before.  PlusNet support assure me that the file permissions were not changed when the domains were added - but I am not convinced.  Most files and folders seem to be set to 02700.  I have changed a few to try and get them to show eg /public is now 0700 and index.htm is 0644 - so even if others are wrong that file at least should display.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

From what you describe I would say your file and directory permissions have been changed, and they are a mess. I'm not surprised you are having access problems. Sad
In my webspace./public is chmod 0775 . An index.html file in it is 0644. Most of the files are PHP and these are either 0700, 0600, 0640 or 0644 partly depending on whether they are migrated or newly created. Subdirectories have 'execute' set as is normal.
The permissions on your file space root ( / ) also need to be set properly. Mine are now 0755 though they were 2710 immediately after migration. Only /databases appears to have setgid (2xxx) set.
David
David