cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS records after migration

j123
Grafter

DNS records after migration

I have a domain transferred in to Plusnet and I’m about to change the DNS records to point to the new CGI server.
I’m not sure what to put for the CNAME right field. At the moment my records (pointing to the original server) are:
[tt]mydomain.tld. a 84.92.1.4
www cname ccgi.plus.net.[/tt]
According to the FAQ, the new settings should be:
[tt]www CNAME <your_domain>.
<your_domain> A 91.136.8.9[/tt]
So I just need to change the IP address for the A record, but should the CNAME be changed to mydomain.tld. or something else?
13 REPLIES 13
virnuls
Dabbler

Re: DNS records after migration

Yes - the FAQ is a bit confusing, but I worked it out by scouring through some of the other threads in here.  It should be:
[your domain name].  A  91.136.8.9
www  CNAME  ccgi.[your username].plus.com.
including the trailing full stops.  That works for me, anyway.  I also find that my domain name now works without the www. at the start, which it didn't do before.
j123
Grafter

Thought it might be that, but the FAQ confused me.
Many thanks, I'll try those settings.
jtonline
Grafter

I used
[tt]www CNAME myname.tld.
myname.tld. A 91.136.8.9[/tt]
and now [tt]mydomain.tld[/tt] and [tt]www mydomain.tld[/tt] and [tt]ccgi.myusername.plus.com[/tt] all direct to the new webspace.
j123
Grafter

Is your domain name hosted at Plusnet? I wonder if the settings are different for domain name registrars outside of Plusnet. Or maybe both settings above work.
jtonline
Grafter

Yep, hosted by PlusNet.  I just put my hosted domain name where it said <your_domain> in the FAQ and waited for it to propagate.
As you say, perhaps both methods will work equally well.
virnuls
Dabbler

Yes - I transferred my domain in to PlusNet.  Maybe they do both work.
I'm not a DNS expert, but the thing that made me suspicious about the settings in the FAQ is that everyone's domain would point to the same IP address with no other obvious way to differentiate them - but it sounds like it does work.  That's why I checked the forums and in all cases the examples were like mine above.
There's a "DNS Health" checker at http://tools.pingdom.com and my domain passes, so it's presumably OK.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The same server cluster is shared by all Plusnet ccgi users so it's IP address will be the same. URL (host domain) mapping on the server directs browser requests for files to the appropriate user directories.
David
David
stephendowden
Hooked

I have changed my DNS records to point to the new CGI server but now when I try to connect to my website I just get the message
"Firefox can't find the server at www.rayleighcameraclub.co.uk."
As far as I can tell the DNS records for this domain are exactly as specified by other posters in this topic. Can anyone at Plusnet technical support identify the problem?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Using nslookup with that URL gives the correct IP and the site displays for me. Was the problem just waiting for DNS to propagate (or needing to clear your cache)?
David
stephendowden
Hooked

Thanks for the response. I've now rebooted my router and everything is working ok. Probably should have tried that earlier!! 
AlFox
Grafter

Thanks for the clarifications in this thread... however, just to be sure as I’m not a regular user of DNS tools and have previously had my fingers burnt:
I have a website hosted on the PlusNet CCGI server, but my domain (www.mydomain.co.uk) is registered with 123. At the moment this URL is pointing to the old sever.
Looking through the PlusNet email and postings I assume that all I have to do is change the settings in the PlusNet Domain Names (not123) page from:
expertek.co.uk. a 84.92.1.4
www                 cname ccgi.plus.net.
To
expertek.co.uk. a 91.136.8.9
www               cname ccgi.plus.net.
Is that correct?
I have 123 set to refer to the PlusNet name servers and MX setting to the PlusNet email servers but I assume none of that changes?
Thanks
Al
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: AlFox
expertek.co.uk. a 91.136.8.9
www               cname ccgi.plus.net.
Is that correct?

The first entry is correct but the second one needs changing to

www        cname    ccgi.<your_username>.plus.com.

not forgetting the full stop after the right field entry. Unchanged it will still point to the Plusnet server.
No changes should be needed at 123-reg.
David
David
AlFox
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt!
That worked. All up and running, although for some reason the transfer did lose a few image directories...
I've read several articles on DNS but the relationship between the registrar and the host settings is still not clear!