cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Records

jonw2011

DNS Records

Got a client whose site is hosted here and has only been accessible when using www .domain .co .uk. Omitting the www displayed a dns error.
The original DNS records :
www                      A          95.128.129.105
domain.co.uk      A          95.128.129.105
After trying different configurations, such as adding www as a CNAME pointing to 'domain.co.uk.' and having no joy I reverted to the original records. Now www version is also not resolving. Currently 'I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain' is selected.
Is this correct? What is the typical time it takes for settings to take effect? I'm at a loss as to why restoring the original DNS seem to cause this issue - or could it be one of my tests is still active?
Much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: DNS Records

Hey Jon,
Welcome to the forums.
Do you have a "." at the end of the domain.co.uk? - This is very important, otherwise it will not work.
Other than that, everything should be fine and dandy.
It'll take up to 4 hours to update in the system, Thats how often the DNS servers update.
Cheers,
Matt
jonw2011

Thanks, I'll add that '.'. That's probably why the non-www was not resolving because I don't recall it being there originally.
Thanks again!
Mattz0r
Rising Star

No problems at all Jon Smiley
Hope you enjoy your weekend, and come back if you have any more issues!
Matt
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Well I'm not clear how this DNS package works, but as far as Im concerned if you want to be able to access a website at www.address.co.uk then you need to have a complete entry for that.
You also (in normal DNS parlance) don't need the extra full stop when specifying host record on the left, its only needed under some circumstances if you use host names on the right hand side (i.e. where the IP address is) and might explain why your CNAME didn't work.
The other thing for you to remember about altering DNS records, is they have something called a TTL (or time to live) and when testing you may well be seeing old results, not the result you expect from your updated DNS entries, you have to wait for the TTL to expire before you can sure than you are seeing the results of your latest setup, and not the results of a previous version.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: fourfourdevon
You also (in normal DNS parlance) don't need the extra full stop when specifying host record on the left, its only needed under some circumstances if you use host names on the right hand side (i.e. where the IP address is) and might explain why your CNAME didn't work.

You would need the full stop to make it an absolute record.
Without the full stop it would be:

address.co.uk.address.co.uk.

The full stop at the end, tell the DNS server that the address is complete, and it doesn't need to add the domain in - With subdomains, you don't need the "." because we want the domain to be added on Smiley
I hope this clears up some confusion for you.
Regards,
Matt.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Mattz0r
The full stop at the end, tell the DNS server that the address is complete, and it doesn't need to add the domain in - With subdomains, you don't need the "." because we want the domain to be added on Smiley
Sure, but only on the right hand side right?
Or have I misunderstood?
jonw2011

I had always thought the dot was just in the right field, but now the site is back up and both www and non-www is working I can only assume that I was misinformed Smiley
Thanks again Mattz0r - I can sleep easy tonight!
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Here is an example for you.
I want domain.tld to point to ghs.google.com
Here is an incorrect method:

domain.tld          IN                CNAME                ghs.google.com.
Output in zone file:
domain.tld.domain.tld.      IN        CNAME        ghs.google.com.

Here is another incorrect method:

domain.tld.      IN        CNAME          ghs.google.com
Output in zone file:
domain.tld    IN      CNAME      ghs.google.com.google.com.

Here is the correct method:

domain.tld.    IN    CNAME        ghs.google.com.
Output in zone file:
domain.tld.  IN      CNAME    ghs.google.com.

The only thing you don't need the "." at the end for, is subdomains, and IP addresses on the right hand side.
Hope this helps,
Matt
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Hmm, the syntax slightly different that that I learned.  I presume that's BIND?  I must admit I've only ever edited DNS via a web interface.
I learned from DynDNS, and after checking DynDNS and Fastmail.fm (who offer free DNS services to their email customer) both their implementations only require the full stop on the right hand side.
itsme
Grafter

I have used 3 DNS servers and all needed the . in the left-hand field.
If you require an A record for domain.co.uk the left-hand field can be left blank.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: fourfourdevon
both their implementations only require the full stop on the right hand side.

For simplicity, they might put it in for you.
A way of error correction maybe?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Yeah, it would seem so, in their implementations you cannot leave the left hand side blank, so yeah, it sees to be about reducing errors.