cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer CGI/MySQL outage - Tuesday 22nd November

Gabe
Grafter

Re: Customer CGI/MySQL outage - Tuesday 22nd November

"Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 4.1.11. This may cause unpredictable behavior."
Gabe
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I get that too. Guessing that something like 'show warnings' has been turned on since the library and server versions haven't changed.
David
David
Gabe
Grafter

Should work with that client but not expecting the warning.
Is there still a default-encoding error on the login? I'm having to force utf-8.
edit: nope, looks like it was the associated refresh. Login still looking flakey - seems to keep dropping the session and booting me out. Unless I'm missing the obvious, which would be typical for a Friday.
Gabe
proman

Still getting "Cannot log in to the MySQL server" despite claims on the service status that "The problems with phpMyAdmin have also been resolved."  Angry
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@proman
All of our testing and from the other posters in this thread is showing that it's working in the vast majority of cases, yours is the only one that isn't logging in.
Unfortunately due to security reasons I can't test your MySQL login without resetting the password, obviously I don't want to do this as then anything on your CGI space that's using the old password will need updating.
What errors are you getting when logging in and is this via mysql.plus.net ?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Been away for a bit with computer hibernated. Now unable to login to MySQL through phpMyAdmin again. Keep getting either
"Error Cannot log in to the MySQL server" when the language setting comes up as "English" - list doesn't include any with "utf-8", and sometimes
"Error No activity within 1800 seconds; please log in again" when the language setting changes to "English (utf-8)".
Access to MySQL via PHP code works.
The symptoms of the login errors seem like two servers working with two independent sessions. Huh
David
David
Chris
Legend

Right, something definitely still amiss with 2 examples of it. I'll make sure the team are aware.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It's not another instance of the session expiry problem that occurred on Community is it?
David
proman

I go to mysql.plus.net, it goes to the php admin page, I select humbug, it goes to the login page, I put in my username and password and click Go.
It thinks about it for 5 seconds or so and drops me back at the same login page with some funny characters in the username.
Edit: If I keep trying from the same login screen, every couple of goes I get Error Cannot log in to the MySQL server
proman

Any update on this?
I did manage to get logged in once after a reboot, but after logging out I've not managed to log in again.
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately not at the moment. Your CGI applications should still be able to connect to mysql though.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Even after completely shutting down my PC, then turning it on again I'm still unable to login to MySQL through phpMyAdmin. Are the two of us who've posted here (and possibly Gabe from previous page) the only ones affected?
Shouldn't the problem be mentioned in a service status post?
David
David
Chris
Legend

We're not seeing complaints to the call centre about this, and the number of people that actually manually log in to mysql.plus.net is a very small number.
We'll take a look at getting a service status out though.
BJepson
Grafter

I have had a question open for two days. It may be a small number of users affected but you can't do much with MySQL without it.
There is a difference now in that it is not reporting "Cannot log in to the MySQL server". It just returns to the login screen with the username jumbled.
Brian
BJepson
Grafter

After some more testing:
Can log in using FireFox no problem.  Can't log in using IE, tried clearing the cach and restarting.
If you look at the html source for the login page the value of 'Username' contains invalid characters, probably because of the character set encoding mentioned in an earlier post.
For no obvious reason I tried <Ctrl> F5 and that caused it to log in but the display didn't have the usual left-hand menu and it threw me off again shortly after.
Update. It didn't work with firefox for more than 30 seconds.