cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom domains no longer supported rDNS PTR Static IP

Jackobyte
Dabbler

Custom domains no longer supported rDNS PTR Static IP

I've just been informed by support that Plusnet no longer support custom domains on PTR records for their static IP

This is something that should have been communicated as their documentation and online searches indicate that this is something they continue to support.  It was one of the reasons that I chose to subscribe to Plusnet in the first place and I feel a bit disgruntled now.

I am posting this here so that people are aware if they search for this information online.

9 REPLIES 9
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Custom domains no longer supported rDNS PTR Static IP

You've already posted about this here and @MisterW has escalated the issue.

Jackobyte
Dabbler

Yeah, in someone else's thread - in order to keep people informed when searching on any search engine it is best as it's own topic.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Search engines search within a topic's content...
Jackobyte
Dabbler

Thanks for that piece of informative information but to be fair the header of the post would then not be the same in the search result.  I'm wondering why you care so much anyway, it's not like 1 topic is going to clog up the internet....

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I've linked to the topic where the explanation/resolution will most likely be posted.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Jackobyte wrote:

... but to be fair ...

... let's not take your answer from telephone support as definitive, and let's wait for the result of @MisterW 's escalation ...

Jackobyte
Dabbler

@RobPN wrote:

... let's not take your answer from telephone support as definitive, and let's wait for the result of @MisterW 's escalation 

Right, because I was on a live call and I did check, double check and triple check with the support agent, definitively, that what he was saying to me was true.

In all fairness @MisterW seems to know his stuff - domains, DNS and Static IP are legacy services? Since when (and since Plusnet don't support IPv6) would any of those essential services to the internet as a whole ever be considered legacy.... As for Static IP, it was a specific part of the sign up process where it was offered as an Add-On and I paid for it thinking I could request a custom domain.  Imagine how I feel now....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Jackobyte wrote:

Right, because I was on a live call and I did check, double check and triple check with the support agent, definitively, that what he was saying to me was true.

We'll see ...

@Jackobyte wrote:

... and Static IP are legacy services? Since when (and since Plusnet don't support IPv6) would any of those essential services to the internet as a whole ever be considered legacy.... As for Static IP, it was a specific part of the sign up process where it was offered as an Add-On and I paid for it thinking I could request a custom domain.

My Static IP might be considered legacy as it was given automatically with certain types of account (domestic) when I signed up with PN over 20 years ago; they are no longer handed out in that fashion, and many ISPs don't even offer them, paid for or not.

@Jackobyte wrote:

Imagine how I feel now....

Imagine how you'll feel if the escalation gets a result - just saying.

EDIT:  typo

Jackobyte
Dabbler

@Jackobyte wrote:

... and Static IP are legacy services? Since when (and since Plusnet don't support IPv6) would any of those essential services to the internet as a whole ever be considered legacy.... As for Static IP, it was a specific part of the sign up process where it was offered as an Add-On and I paid for it thinking I could request a custom domain.

My Static IP might be considered legacy as it was given automatically with certain types of account (domestic) when I signed up with PN over 20 years ago; they are no longer handed out in that fashion, and many ISPs don't even offer them, paid for or not.

@RobPNYou know as well as I do that nothing you have said there is the definition of a legacy service. It doesn't matter how long you have been with PN and it doesn't matter if other ISPs don't offer a static IP as an addon, other ISPs aren't part of the BT group (also irrelevant to whether static IPs are a legacy service) - what you are talking about is a grandfathered service where old rules are allowed to stay in place even when new rules exist.

@Jackobyte wrote:

Imagine how I feel now....

Imagine how you'll feel if the escalation gets a result - just saying.

EDIT:  typo

I will consider that my efforts today have been fruitful and that my concerns have been addressed, thanks.