cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating VPN Server - static IP recommended?

shure
Grafter

Creating VPN Server - static IP recommended?

Hi all,
not sure if this is the right section so apologies if not.
I'm on a Fibre Extra package with around 50/12 speeds (it varies quite a bit).  I also travel a lot and want to use my router as a VPN Server so I can access content when I'm away, instead of paying subscriptions to VPN providers.  My router is an Asus RT-N66u and has OpenVPN capability.
Is a static IP recommended for this?  I haven't needed it up to now but don't mind too much paying the one-off £5 charge to PN if so. 
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Creating VPN Server - static IP recommended?

I believe you could either use Static IP or a dynamic dns service (I'm trying Duckdns currently and it works extremely well).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: shure
Is a static IP recommended for this?

Yes !, I would suggest having a static IP, as this gives you the most flexibility in choosing your VPN client, as not all support dynamic DNS.
I consider having a static IPv4 address as an investment anyway, because you never know what other applications you might need tomorrow that require a static IP,  and I have noticed over the past six months, that other ISPs are quietly removing the option for residential customers to purchase a static IP - so you never know when your opportunity to buy one will vanish.
The other thought that springs to mind, is that as you are traveling away from home, if for some reason your VPN was apparently down, then it would be useful to have the ability to confirm whether your home connection was still running, or whether you need to investigate if VPN is being blocked by the internet service you are using away from home.  Having a static IP address at home would mean that you could setup a ThinkBroadband "Broadband Quality Monitor", and therefore you should be able to web browse to that site and look at the graph showing what is happening with your home router !
Wink
shure
Grafter

'scuse my ignorance but how would dynamic DNS work?  I need the VPN in order that I'm not geo-blocked when I travel, which I'm doing a lot at the moment.  How would dynamic DNS achieve the same result?
shure
Grafter

@Nibiru: good point about the TBB monitor, thanks
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: shure
'scuse my ignorance but how would dynamic DNS work?

The Dynamic DNS service provides you with a (fixed) URL to access your home network (router) rather than a fixed IP address, if your chosen VPN solution accepts URL rather than / as well as IP then it works 'just the same' as a static IP.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Saltee
Dabbler

My advice would be to go for the static IP.  If you're away and the dynamic assignment fails you're stuck. 

Also, use UDP when setting up your OpenVPN server - TCP doesn't play well with VPNs if retransmits are requested.

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi Shure

Im using exactly the same router as you and currently run a Dynamic DNS with NoIP.com (https://my.noip.com/)

I have been using this reliably for work and playing games with friends without a fixed IP for years now as the router has consistently handled all the routing fine.

For reference, when setting up your VPN you would put in a url address like [yourname].my.noip.com and then whatever password you have setup on the router rather then entering an IP address

What I would recommend is giving it a try on the router as its pretty simple to setup and running it for a week or so to see if you still think the fixed IP is needed.  Feel free to give me a shout if you want help configuring it on the router.