cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crappy service when becoming a e-mail and domain only customer

choppy
Dabbler

Crappy service when becoming a e-mail and domain only customer

WTF is the matter with PN, for ever I have 'owned' my own domain name which was hosted from the beginning by smaller companies who were bought out by 'the competition', which is how I ended up at PN.
On 4th Jan '16 I changed from being a broadband customer to an e-mail and domain hosting customer, since then I have been unable to send e-mails, although receiving them was not a problem with a PC and was soon fixed with a Mac.
I have been fobbed off with everyone I have spoken too either blaming someone else or stating that it is the end user (me) that is at fault, it is now 15 days.....  Angry  Angry  Angry

33 REPLIES 33
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Crappy service when becoming a e-mail and domain only customer

What are the settings you currently have for sending emails?
While I appreciate you have said on the ticket, that you haven't changed any settings. If you're no longer a broadband customer, you may need to change your settings.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Are you paying Plusnet a monthly fee for the email and domain hosting - if you are not you won't be able to send emails via the Plusnet servers.
2. As you are no longer on the Plusnet network you must use authentication (i.e. username and password the same as you use for the incoming mail). SSL should still be turned off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: spoon
1. Are you paying Plusnet a monthly fee for the email and domain hosting - if you are not you won't be able to send emails via the Plusnet servers.

This is the problem.
Here's an attempt to send email from your domain via a Plusnet connection (it works):
~$ telnet relay.plus.net 25
Trying 212.159.8.107...
Connected to relay.plus.net.
ehlo relay
250-avasout02 hello [84.93.219.165], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250 OK
mail from:[REDACTED]
250 [REDACTED] sender ok
rcpt to:<support@plus.net>
250 <support@plus.net> recipient ok
data
354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
subject: test
this is a test from support, please ignore.
250 7r9i1s0023aiV8c01rA6nc mail accepted for delivery

And here's an attempt to send from a non-Plusnet connection using your username and password (it doesn't work):
~$ telnet relay.plus.net 25
Trying 212.159.8.107...
Connected to relay.plus.net.
220 avasout05 smtp relay.plus.net
ehlo relay
250-avasout05 hello [212.183.132.39], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 10485760
250-8BITMIME
250 OK
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
[REDACTED]
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
[REDACTED]
535 ...authentication rejected

Quote from: spoon
2. As you are no longer on the Plusnet network you must use authentication (i.e. username and password the same as you use for the incoming mail). SSL should still be turned off.

This isn't going to work unless you're paying us a regular subscription. Your options are to either use a third party SMTP server (or that of the provider you're using to connect to the Internet), change your account to a paid account (cheapest option will be a mail only account at £1.06/mnth) or use Webmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

choppy
Dabbler

I am paying (or at least I will be) PN for hosting and e-mails
I have checked the PC (Outlook 10) and the authentication is 'active', I have no idea what SSL is so this will still be set the same as it was previously,
As for my Mac I use the mail prog installed
If the problem was with only one or the other I could accept that it is an 'end user' issue but two separate (and completely different) programs, it's got to be an access issue at PN
If I 'need to change (my) settings' someone should at least know what these are and how to do it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to change the outgoing server settings to needs authentication assuming Plusnet have set it up for paid email access which from Bob's post they may not have done
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: choppy
I am paying (or at least I will be) PN for hosting and e-mails

As it currently stands, the account is free and we aren't charging for it.
What Bob has said is correct:
Quote from: Bob
This isn't going to work unless you're paying us a regular subscription. Your options are to either use a third party SMTP server (or that of the provider you're using to connect to the Internet), change your account to a paid account (cheapest option will be a mail only account at £1.06/mnth) or use Webmail.

If you'd like me to change the account to the paid option at £1.06 per month, feel free to let me know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
choppy
Dabbler

I have, or at least had, a DD set up with PN for my broadband, IF this is no longer active what have PN done to make it no longer active?, as far as I am concerned I have a DD with PN because when I had a very long and getting nowhere convo with last Wednesday / Thursday with the billing team they did not say otherwise.
If you are telling me I have no DD set up I want the eejits head, served up on a platter, with an apple stuck in his mouth.....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: choppy
I have, or at least had, a DD set up with PN for my broadband, IF this is no longer active what have PN done to make it no longer active?

Your broadband account was cancelled on the 6th Jan, which will have removed any payment details associated with the account. It has since been re-activated as a *free* account. The problem isn't just your lack of payment details, it's the fact you aren't paying a monthly subscription which prevents you using our SMTP server to send emails.
If you're still wanting to send email using our servers then you'll need to add some payment details to your account and accept HarryB's offer to upgrade the account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it's now a free account, how has domain hosting survived?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It probably shouldn't have. The system won't always strip the domain from the account though. it depends on the circumstances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

choppy
Dabbler

Having gone through the whole process of converting my broadband acct to an e-mail and domain hosting account, over several months and numerous conversations to ensure that it was feasable. During which I was advised of, and agreed to, the monthly fee of one pound something someone somewhere in PN has suddenly discovered that someone else in PN has made a monumental cock-up and canceled my payment details.
So now we are going to blame the end-user for not supplying the payment details which were already held as being the reason for not getting the service that was agreed to. FOTFLMFHO
Now I have been advised to accept Bob's offer through this thread, not sure how that will work but here goes........  Lips_are_sealed
choppy
Dabbler

Sorry that should have been Harry B's offer... Embarrassed
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Smiley
I've made the change on the account, let us know if you're still having problems.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
choppy
Dabbler

no change, no change.  Still unable to send from any account.