Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Could not connect to database'

Be3G
Grafter

Re: 'Could not connect to database'

Quote from: MauriceC
2) No votes so far to help raise it's priority.
Voting in PUGIT does help raise the problem profile within PlusNet.
Get on over there and make your vote count?

It's a tad hard to vote for it when the option to vote for it does not appear. Wink
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

A bit of a 'legacy' issue Huh
An 'Idea' asks you to Vote on an Issue.
A 'Problem' asks you to associate your Username with the problem.  Same underlying mechanism i.e. your 'Vote' is counted, but there was going to be an additional piece that PlusNet could use to rapidly identify and contact users with that particular problem.  Likely to be removed when time permits!  See Pugit 323 for a fuller explanation.
So - Just click on 'associate my username with this problem' to do the business. Cool

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PN have finally woken up and issued a SS for this problem, although its over a week late considering how long the problem has been going on for.  Roll_eyes
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1190225662.htm
Be3G
Grafter

A 'Problem' asks you to associate your Username with the problem.  Same underlying mechanism i.e. your 'Vote' is counted, but there was going to be an additional piece that PlusNet could use to rapidly identify and contact users with that particular problem.  Likely to be removed when time permits!  See Pugit 323 for a fuller explanation.
So - Just click on 'associate my username with this problem' to do the business. Cool

The thing is, I never saw an 'associate my username with this problem' link - there was no way for me to interact with the problem on PUGIT at all. But then I noticed the tiny 'prefs' link, and a box asking me to enter my username to associate with problems... and after entering my username, the link to associate my username appeared. Perhaps this could me made clearer...
As for the service status, it is indeed good that it's finally been recognised seriously. Although the prospect of waiting a week for a fix is a tad annoying...
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Be3G

The thing is, I never saw an 'associate my username with this problem' link - there was no way for me to interact with the problem on PUGIT at all. But then I noticed the tiny 'prefs' link, and a box asking me to enter my username to associate with problems... and after entering my username, the link to associate my username appeared. Perhaps this could me made clearer...
As for the service status, it is indeed good that it's finally been recognised seriously. Although the prospect of waiting a week for a fix is a tad annoying...

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the PUGIT issue - it's easy to forget to check what normal users see as a default.  I feel a need for some tutorial material. Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thehat
Grafter

I had the same issue, no option to vote. It is very not obvious that you need to go into prefs to associate your username with the problem.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

This problem was raised in the PUGIT database on 10th Sept as issue 365
Current status is:
1) It remains unacknowledged by PlusNet.

Now acknowledged.
Here's a brief description of what's been done so far (taken from the PUGIT notes). Just to make things clear this problem was raised internally during the first week of September and we started our investigations on the 7th...
Apologies for the late response on this one.
For the record this affects both Rumpus & Humbug.
The problem was raised, and has been under investigation since the 7th. Issue has now been acknowledged on Service Status:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1190225662.htm
We have been unable to identify any network issues. There are no errors on the connecting interfaces and no packet drops seen. Observing the mysql process for contention issues showed that the max_user_connections was set to 25 which is not very high for a customer facing server. We have increased this which helped a little but the problem is still prevalent. Some days the mysql connections hit a maximum that's below 25 so there is clearly something else at play here.
in the message "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'humbug.plus.net' (4)" the (4) is the OS error, and in this case means: OS error code 4: Interrupted system call however, what the system call is and how / why it has been interrupted, it is keeping to itself.
The OS is very old and it has been suggested that we get a newer kernel on one of the servers to see if the problem goes away, this is the work referenced in the Service Status post. There are some limitations to this as we can't go as far as to upgrade mysql to version 5.
Some customers have reported that other scripts on the CGI server are exhibiting similar symptoms even though they use their own database however we have few examples at present.

Further updates will be provided via Service Status.
Edit again: And this should now be fixed. Turns out it was the vserver config on CCGI04.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

For anyone that is not monitoring the service status reports, this problem has been reported as fixed now so time to retest and report back (Bob's italic text at the end of the previous post will not have bumped this thread).
The problem turned out to be a misconfigured CCGI server.
SS details here
Be3G
Grafter

Indeed - perhaps Bob, when you have something new to add, you could just make a new reply, so we know there's a new development. Smiley I've been using CGI/MySQL in the last 24 hours anyway, and it all looks good - no more annoying time-outs.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Be3G
I've been using CGI/MySQL in the last 24 hours anyway, and it all looks good - no more annoying time-outs.

Not noticed any problems with PHP-FUSION site I'm testing - how long before this gets hijacked to Turkey  Wink