Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyrighted content email – please read

FIXED
kac11
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Copyrighted content email – please read

I can see this subject has been covered in the past but I have just received an e.mail from Plusnet entitled as above.

This relates to me watching Deadpool 2. As the e.mail has my details on I presume it is genuine. Well Plusnet, it wasn't me, neither was it anyone in my house, and my connection is secure - so I hope you will pass my innocence on to the accusers.

I was having my tea at the time, cheese on toast, followed by strawberries and ice cream, and watching the local news on TV. Much better than some weird film I have never heard of. Please investigate because I do not like being accused of things I haven't done. Sainsbury's tried it not long ago, and I pursued it until I got an apology and compensation. Knuppel

We've received notification that the following content has been shared using your Internet connection:

Title: DEADPOOL 2 (2018)
Date: 13/06/2018
Time: 18:08:33
Reference: 18643606
16 REPLIES 16
kac11
Dabbler

Re: Copyrighted content email – please read

On a more serious note the IP address used was 91.125.222.36. Not what I am using now - is there any way I can check what IP address I was using yesterday ?

I have wasted an afternoon reading about "Get it right...." and there seems to be no way of contacting them. I don't have any Bit Torrent or file sharing software.

DEADPOOL 2 (2018)

• CIR Id ?
  • DATE SHARED ?
    13 Jun 2018
  • TIME SHARED ?
    05:08 PM
  • PROTOCOL ?
    BITTORRENT
  • IP Address ?
  • APPLICATION ?
    uTorrent
  • FILE NAME ?
    www.TamilRockers.li - Deadpool 2 (2018)[Tamil (HQ Line Audio) - v2 DVDScr - XviD - MP3 - 700MB].avi
  • COPYRIGHT OWNER ?
    Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
  • FILE SIZE ?
  • FILE TYPE ?
    Movie
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.
We've just forwarded onto you the notifications we've received from the copyright holders.

I'm afraid that we don't have anymore information than what you can find out on the Get It Right site.

It looks like the IP address changed from 91.125.222.36 yesterday evening when your connection dropped out.

If you're unaware of this activity happening then I'd recommend changing your wireless password using the steps here

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kac11
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf. I'll change my password but I can categorically state that this is nothing to do with me, and no one else uses my connection. Yes my connection often drops out, so that is likely.

I must say that I am very unhappy with Get It Right - They seem to have the power to accuse people and there is no right of reply. No contact details on their website.

I did notice that the e.mail from Plusnet stated a time of 18:08:33 whereas the Get It Right reports states 5:08 pm. Has someone allowed for Time Zones in changing that, or is it a mistake ?

It's also ironic that I would have no idea how to download an illegal file - yet Get It Right and just told me the software I need and the website I am suppose to have gone to to obtain anything illegal I may fancy.

I do appreciate your reply though - I really do have enough problems without this at the moment.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Fix

Hi, 

The time discrepancy is probably due to the time it takes for the information to be calibrated and then generated into an email such as the one your received.

It does indeed seem quite strange that all that information was provided, I shall raise this internally.

Again, apologies that this happened, thanks for bringing it to our attention though! 

Kind Regards, 

Alisdair 

kac11
Dabbler

Cheers Alisdair. I just hope that someone, somewhere, takes note that innocent people are being accused with no means of defending themselves. As someone who has autism, this will prey on my mind for a long time. The one thing I struggle with is conflict.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The volume of information seems about right to me for this sort of notice.
The observation about the time stamp difference is a good one though, and I think that needs looking into - they should align.
The defense argument is a little moot if I'm being honest, as these are intended as informative/educational notices, rather than anything that has any repercussions.
I accept your point on the autism front though, we've a duty of care to ensure things are accurate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kac11
Dabbler

Thank you Bob. Appreciate your message. It's all been a bit of an eye-opener to be honest. I had never heard of this campaign, and thought illegal file sharing had all died out years ago.

I too have been thinking that the key to this is the time difference, if it was the case, then obviously it is a genuine error.

The autism thing, well I am perfectly normal of course. The only thing I find is that I react badly to conflict and I never get over things - they are always in my head. Maybe having a new conflict to worry about will eject an old one.

Anyway if you do discover anything about that time difference, please do let me know. It will help clear things up.

Thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm really sorry for the concern this is causing you.

I'd agree with Bob in saying that the notices are just meant to be informative/educational, and I wouldn't worry about this if you genuinely didn't share the content.

Looking into the time difference, the Get It Right site is likely recording the time in GMT, and the e-mail we've sent you likely shows the time in BST.

As you probably know BST time is ahead of GMT by 1 hour. However ideally it should be consistent, i.e. both in GMT or both in BST. As Alisdair's said we'll see if we can raise this to the relevant people and when/if I know more about this I'll come back here to let you know.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I got one of those too - bit worrying as I'm on a fixed ip address. The link given in the page in the PN portal just links back to itself so I've no idea what I've apparently been doing.

kac11
Dabbler

What's really getting to me Steve is that there is no right of reply. GetItRight are the judge, jury and executioner. I've sent them a few tweets but they won't reply.

Talk to anyone about it and they seem to have the attitude "yeah, but you are guilty really". I am certain that in my case it is either down to the time difference or the fact I did have my internet cut out around the time the alleged event happened. In your case it seems even more of a mystery. I was thinking of getting a static IP address to combat the problem, but obviously that isn't the answer. No one but me has ever had access to my internet connection, any phones or computers that I have used are in my possession. My router is secure, I was connected direct by Ethernet at the time, using my main computer that wasn't even enabled for wi-fi, and like I say, I don't have anything like the software they say I was using or any interest in watching or sharing illegal files. They appear to think I was the sharing party - so where is the movie I shared ? Never even heard of it !

Anyway, I'm so pleased someone else has been accused wrongly (with all due respect to yourself). Big Brother is watching and he doesn't care who he tramples on. Sad

SteveA
Pro

The problem I have with this @Gandalf is that I have an email telling me that apparently I've been sharing copyrighted material. All the email contains is a 1 word title which means nothing to me and a time stamp.

The link to the member centre takes me to a page that contains:

Screenshot_2018-06-19_18-11-42.png

With a link that doesn't work (all it does is point to https://www.plus.net/get-it-right/activity/# )

I'd really like to see some more details. We already know that their timestamps are wrong.......

SteveA
Pro

And now apparently I have no "active infringements"..... what ever that means.

I still have no idea what I've been "accused" of......

kac11
Dabbler

Same here Steve, just been looking at it as I am contacting the people behind the campaign who I have tracked down as the mysterious enquiries@creativecontentuk.org and also my MP. I have also spoken to the consumer people at The Sun who were helpful. I have spent way too long worrying about this, and have tracked down every device that has ever connected to my Internet, and as I already knew, there is nothing suspect, nothing with any file sharing software etc etc.

You should probably have started your own thread because this one is marked as fixed, so will just be ignored.

kac11
Dabbler

A further problem has developed with the amount of times I am getting cut off from the internet (using ethernet). It has always been around once a day, but over the past three days it has happened around ten times. I've been keeping a record of the IP numbers since the last problem. Last night instead of the green lights going out and resetting, the red internet light came on and stayed on. I powered off and on again, and it was ok, but the router was red hot. I've switched off again while I am out today. I know it's hot weather but the router is in the coolest place possible. It's the technicolor 582.