cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyright infringement email

rebob307
Dabbler

Copyright infringement email

Had an email saying that I have made a copyright infringement when watching Lucifer..... Thing is that I have not! I am watching the series via Amazon prime which I have paid for! On top of the poor connection most of the time I am not sure if I will be a customer for much longer! 

30 REPLIES 30
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Copyright infringement email

Who was the email from?

Could it just be someone trying to con you out of some money?

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Moved to appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rebob307
Dabbler

No. Just telling me it has happened and to make sure that our connection is secure 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

So you made a copyright infringement when watching Lucifer?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Clearly a scam.

Do the old classic of a threat. If you could post the e-mail headers we could do with a laugh.

Then I am sure the e-mail gives you some “advice” on how to rectify it, usually by making a payment to a false third party.

Ignore and move onto something else.
rebob307
Dabbler

So it says. 

rebob307
Dabbler

Telling me to look at the members centre only 

rebob307
Dabbler

The email had my name and user name and email all correct too. This is part of the email 

Copyrighted content email – please read

Account username: 

We're sending this email as part of a UK wide campaign, 'Get it Right from a Genuine Site'. 

We've received a notification that your Internet connection has been used to share some copyrighted content without the rights holder's permission. This content could be things like films, music or TV shows. 

This is the first email we've sent you about this, so here's some information on what this means and how to stop it from happening again.

What does this mean?

We're letting you know about this activity as part of a UK wide campaign, 'Get it Right from a Genuine Site'. 

This campaign is backed by copyright owners, Internet Service Providers and the UK government, to help all Internet users get their favourite content from a genuine site or service, and to prevent copyrighted content being shared when it shouldn't be. 

All Internet users will be contacted by their service provider when this sort of activity takes place so steps can be taken to stop this happening again.

What has my Internet connection been used for?

We've received notification that the following content has been shared using your Internet connection:

Title: LUCIFER (2015)
Date: 11/01/2018
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Genuine email by the looks of things, and it's not for downloading the content, it's for sharing it. Typically by seeding from a torrent client or watching via an illicit streaming site/(Kodi)add-on that relies on P2P technology.
Knowing how the system works, I'd be very surprised if it was anything to do with watching the content via the official Amazon apps Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rebob307
Dabbler

We watched it using the inbuilt app on the TV for Amazon..... Not a clue as to how I have watched it wrong 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Odd. Do the dates/times match up? What TV do you have?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rebob307
Dabbler

An LG smart TV. Date matches but not sure about the time..... Strange 

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Does anyone else in the house share your internet? & Also might be worth changing your WiFi password.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You may be interested in https://www.getitrightfromagenuinesite.org/terms-conditions/

It says

Effective Date: 16th September 2015

These Get It Right Terms of Use (“Terms of Use”) govern your access to and use of www.getitrightfromagenuinesite.org (the “Site”). The Site is operated by Creative Content UK Partnership Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 09106000; VAT number 208 5003 44; c/o Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP, 40 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5DS (“we” or “us”).

.... ad infinitum

So basically a legal firm thought it would be great to spam people with potential demands for payment. Seems their software isn't up to the job, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."