cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Cancellation Timing Help

pezz18

Contract Cancellation Timing Help

Hi,

My contract is due to expire on 5th May 2020 and I wish to switch to a new supplier. I received an email from plusnet which says:

"If you decide to leave before the end of your contract you can do so without paying any early termination fees by giving us 14 days’ notice. Once your contract ends you’ll need to still give us this notice and during this period charges would continue to apply."

I am aware that if i initiate a switch i don't have to inform plusnet as the new provider will do this on my behalf, however I find this quite confusing as I'm not sure at what point i can sign up with a new provider.

For instance, If I sign up with a new supplier today (28-Mar-20), yet choose an activation date in the future - lets say 21-Apr-20 which is exactly 14 days before contract expiry date, does this mean:

a) The notice date provided to plusnet by the new provider will be the day i sign up with them (28th Mar 2020) and therefore will incur cancellation charges as i'm not in the 14 day window yet.

or

b) The notice date provided to plusnet by the new provider will be the activation date of the new service (21-Apr-20 as mentioned above) which would be within the 14 day window and therefore I shouldn't incur a cancellation charge.

I have tried calling plusnet,  but with the current covid-19 situation, unable to get through!

1 REPLY 1
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Contract Cancellation Timing Help

Hi @pezz18

Thank you for your query, sorry for the delay in responding.

I believe there has been some confusion caused here. The early termination fees would be applicable if the account closed during the minimum term of your contract. So, in respect of your account, prior to 05.05.2020.

Further information about how our early termination fees is available online, in our price guide. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team